Playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.

In Austin, TX. This BLM supporter has started carrying his AK-47 to protests "because they don't let us march in the streets anymore."
https://twitter.com/i/status/1287278680817823747

Evidently he fired 5 shots at the driver of a vehicle, who then returned fire and killed him.

The news reports the AK guy as the "victim".

Comments

• edited July 27
    I can't make out a damn thing in those videos.

All I know for sure is that there were 5 shots from one weapon and 3 shots from a different weapon.
    The first weapon was much bigger and heavier than the first.

I see that the rioters are claiming it was murder and there's already a Dindu Nuffin video up from his mom.
  • Of course this reporting is very early... but they totally omit the fact that "someone" fired 5 shots before the driver fired 3 shots.
    https://abc7.com/austin-shooting-downtown-protest-murder/6335183/
  • The people who are managing the insurrections have pushed things to the point where the general public is starting to fight back, because they know that the police aren't going help them.

Which is exactly what the leaders wanted.

My suspicion is that they want to see martial law being declared before the election.

And the useful idiots who are in the streets have no idea what they are getting themselves into.
  • The news I'm reading says the driver fired first.

IMHO, It doesn't matter. Dont surround a car with loaded weapons and act in a threatening manner and you won't lose your life.
  • Assuming that video footage is from the event (it isn't being picked up by a lot of new channels) there are 5 shots that sound like a rifle, and then 3 shots that sound like a pistol. What I've read several times is that driver went towards protesters. AK guy shot at him 5 times, and driver returned 3 shots.
  • The news also claims that he drove the speeding car into the protesters, but doesn't explain the lack of injured protesters who got run over.

They also don't explain the 5 clearly audible rifle shots that preceded the 3 handgun shots.
  • ZedZed
    edited July 27
    This video (which doesn't have audio aside from someone breathing and a couple beeps) is filmed from across the street where the shooting took place. The dashcam vehicle is facing the same direction as the vehicle which was stopped by protesters will be. All these "protesters" are wandering across the street in traffic, and shortly after the light turns green is when you see a dark sedan approach from the right making a right hand turn onto the street that the protesters are on. You see a bunch of people running towards the now stopped dark sedan. I have to assume that is when the driver honked their horn, and the protesters start to swarm the vehicle. Then you see all the protesters scattering, which I'd have to assume is when the shooting started.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1287279078186205184
  • Interestingly, according to this report, the driver who shot AK guy called 911 and met with police.

And according to this report, the APD have released the driver based on this photo that show AK guy with the AK shouldered while approaching the vehicle.

https://conservativeus.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/austin-police-release-driver-who-shot-and-killed-antifa-protester-garrett-foster-photo-shows-that-750x445.jpg

https://conservativeus.com/austin-police-release-driver-who-shot-and-killed-antifa-protester-garrett-foster-photo-shows-that-foster-was-pointing-his-ak-47-at-the-driver/

• I honestly can’t make out anything in that video.
  • I'm amazed nobody else was shot in the exchange with that many people crowding. At that range I'm going to have to assume Foster was shooting at the engine.

Also, can anyone comment if Foster actually had an AK-47 or is it some other variant?
  • ZedZed
    edited July 27
    "AK-style" or "AK platform" weapon would be the most accurate description. He was interviewed shortly before the event by someone asking him why he was carrying a rifle, and he identified it as an AK47. As a side note the AK-47 is a 7.62x39 caliber weapon (a .30 cal bullet). I couldn't see the whole firearm. But from what I saw, it actually looked like a triangle folding stock that would be found on an AK74. The AK74 firearm is a 5.45x39 caliber weapon (0.22 cal bullet) is basically the same firearm in a different caliber that came out in the 70's (AK47... ~1947; AK74... ~1974)

In the strictest sense, a true AK-47 would be a fully automatic weapon. While it is possible to possess one, they are very rare and very expensive in the US (unless you are LEO/Dealer - NFA device as I mentioned to you include machine guns, suppressors, destructive devices, AOWs, SBR/SBS). However, the market is pretty well saturated with semi-automatic versions made by numerous manufacturers out of surplus parts and new receivers alike.

What is likely is he had a semi-automatic version of the AK47. Which looks just like the fully automatic version except for the "third hole" and corresponding pin in the receiver. See photo, the green marked pin will get you a lot of attention. Hard to see, and hard to identify if you don't know what you're looking at.

https://i.imgur.com/bxhFKnd.jpg

This video pictures a still shot of him with his AK and woman. Based on the curvature of the magazine, I'd say it probably is an AK47 type. AK47 mags are more distinctly curved than AK74 magazines.
    FFWD -> 5:30 if the video doesn't automatically do so.

Magazine differences:
    https://cdn.outdoorhub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2012/12/Magazines.jpg
    1st one is 45rd 5.45 for an AK74 (bling-bling!)
    2nd one is 30rd 5.45 for an AK74
    3rd one is a 30rd 7.62 for an AK47
  • Thanks for that, very helpful. I wonder if he called it an AK-47 out of ignorance or intent... or maybe just brevity because most people think it's an AK-47.
  • Assuming that what I have heard is correct…

Apparently the first five shots were from the drivers gun and the next three were from another protester that was shooting at the car.

Supposedly the guy with the AK 47 walked up to the car while it was stopped and being manhandled by the crowd; then he raised the barrel at the guy in the driver seat.

Which in retrospect seems to have been a bad idea.
  • ZedZed
    edited July 27
    "Jesus Is My Pilot" - I wonder if he called it an AK-47 out of ignorance or intent... or maybe just brevity because most people think it's an AK-47.

Probably because most people aren't all that concerned with the technicalities of firearms and whatever word gets the job done is close enough. Its a common enough misnomer that no one (except the most pedantic) is going to push back on its use. The general idea that it is a .30 cal rifle of Russian design is close enough.

"MC Escher" - Apparently the first five shots were from the drivers gun and the next three were from another protester that was shooting at the car.
    Supposedly the guy with the AK 47 walked up to the car while it was stopped and being manhandled by the crowd; then he raised the barrel at the guy in the driver seat.
    Which in retrospect seems to have been a bad idea.

Yes, that is what the majority of outlets are reporting, with a few outliers opposing. AK guy never fired, and a third individual fired upon the vehicle as it left the area. That differential in gunfire sound sure is strange though.

Yes, pointing an AK at an armed individual can definitely turn into a career ending choice.
  • Some more details coming out:
    https://popularmilitary.com/man-who-shot-blm-protester-veteran-is-released-due-to-self-defense/

"Man who shot BLM protester, veteran is released due to self-defense
    Garrett Foster, who was armed with a Palmetto State Armory AK-pattern rifle while pushing his quadripelegic girlfriend’s wheelchair during the protest, was fatally shot after he confronted a vehicle that some believe was approaching the crowd with ill-intent.

Foster was caught on camera as he approached the driver on his side of the vehicle with his weapon, and soon multiple shots rang out, with many reporting that rifle shots preceded shots that sounded more akin to that of pistol-caliber ammunition."
    *snip*
    In a video shot by a local journalist prior to the shooting, Foster hefted his rifle and claimed he was armed in order to combat police brutality.

“They don’t let us march in the streets anymore so gotta practice some of our rights,” he said.

Austin Police Chief Brian Manley confirmed that Foster was carrying a rifle at the time he approached the vehicle, and witnesses vary when describing whether or not he had his weapon pointing at the driver in the “high ready” or “low ready” position."
  • More footage from a nearby protester. Warning, a lot of screaming and whimpering. Different, but similar gunshot sounds.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1287438000289456129
  • This is unfortunate.

If you remember the 2017 summer riots/unlicensed protests that made it their business to block traffic and converge on cars, the plain lesson was that a rioter on his feet isn't a match for a two ton car.

As we saw just a week ago, rioters pulling people out of their cars is a form of assault about which a driver should be aware. A driver who has a mob converging on his car has a deadly option -- plant the accelerator and get to safety. This driver chose a less deadly option, shooting the man coming his way with a loaded rifle in the high or low ready.

It takes a bit more imagination to articulate a plausible and good motive for closing on a car with a loaded rifle at the ready. It's possible he thought the driver was looking to drive over rioters, though a stopped vehicle isn't consistent with that kind of plan.

One of these events organized by semi-pro agitator is going to progress to a legitimately terrified driver getting out of a mob attack by driving over a kid who just showed up to be stupid and dramatic, but lacked the judgement to stay clear of moving cars. The other problem is that when use of POs comes back, there can be a pendulum swing in which greater police misconduct is tolerated as a necessity. It's neat in a film when Fifi tells Rockatansky that he doesn't care what happens so long as the paper work is good, but it's a mess when it really happens.

• "It takes a bit more imagination to articulate a plausible and good motive for closing on a car with a loaded rifle at the ready."

More so when you're dead.