George Floyd

Comments

• Weary about Yousef pimple Ned.
  • LOL
  • Who’s to say I didn’t?
  • Mini stroke?

Those aren't that that bad from what I've read.

• As long as I'm not drooling, I'm good.

I want to live my life in such a way that when I lose my mind, nobody wlll know the difference.
  • "Excessive Force" charges now against 6 of the APD involved in the tazing incident linked above. The first two were fired, and the other 4 have been put on administrative leave.

Evidently the APD was not given notice by the DA's office that the charges were being filed.
    Much butt-hurtedness ensues.

"Multiple (law enforcement) agencies that were assisting us in managing this incredibly volatile time have pulled out, effective immediately. They are not comfortable with their employees being leveraged politically by the potential of also facing criminal charges.” - Atlanta Police Chief Ericka Shields

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/leaked-email-apd-chief-blindsided-by-officer-charges-agencies-end-support-atlanta/TSOWOGFBKFCL3BKYGEUP4AEXBY/
  • The graphic showing the officers is ... interesting.
  • I chuckled over an interview on NPR this morning with Amy Klobuchar. I think it was with Steve Innskeep? She was going on and on about how things can't operate the way they have been and how things need to change, etc... Then he brought up when we she was DA of that county 10 years ago, the fact that she never brought charges against officers accused of misconduct and instead always deferred to the grand jury. She went, "Uh, ah, ah, er, uh... That was accepted practice back then!"

LOL! I think she was genuinely shocked that NPR threw her a hardball. Even my liberal wife laughed and rolled her eyes.

Then she tried some weakshit deflection saying, "We took an oath on the bible to defend the Constitution. We didn't just wave one in the air like President Trump. We took an oath!" Um... I'm pretty sure Trump did too during his inauguration, so if that's your litmus we should be all good.

What a Ding Dong.
  • Lulz

Here's hoping her hair smells nice. That's her only hope.
  • I hear that Ellison has up-charged the main douchebag.

If I heard correctly, he’s going for murder one.

So I guess he figures it’s more politically advantageous to lose the case then to win it.
  • Yep, just saw that.

Idiot.
  • Now I’m hearing they are going for 2nd degree murder. THAT is possible, especially if the law there has a “depraved indifference” clause in the law.
  • I'm assuming this still adds to the degree of difficulty in successful prosecution?

& the other three have been charged.

"The other former three officers at the scene — Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane — were each charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder while committing a felony, and with aiding and abetting second-degree murder manslaughter with culpable negligence. Both charges are categorized as "unintentional" felonies."

• Maybe someone will get on the jury who knows the woman George Floyd pointed a gun at during the armed robbery for which he was convicted. Floyd might be the worst poster boy the BLM movement has ever had.

Is the prosecutor a Democrat? An acquittal would certainly encourage media idiots to encourage another round of rioting.
  • Minnesota Murder 3 is already "Depraved Mind" Murder.

609.185 MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

(a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of murder in the first degree and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life:

(1) causes the death of a human being with premeditation and with intent to effect the death of the person or of another;

(2) causes the death of a human being while committing or attempting to commit criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence, either upon or affecting the person or another;

(3) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of the person or another, while committing or attempting to commit burglary, aggravated robbery, kidnapping, arson in the first or second degree, a drive-by shooting, tampering with a witness in the first degree, escape from custody, or any felony violation of chapter 152 involving the unlawful sale of a controlled substance;

(4) causes the death of a peace officer, prosecuting attorney, judge, or a guard employed at a Minnesota state or local correctional facility, with intent to effect the death of that person or another, while the person is engaged in the performance of official duties;

(5) causes the death of a minor while committing child abuse, when the perpetrator has engaged in a past pattern of child abuse upon a child and the death occurs under circumstances manifesting an extreme indifference to human life;

(6) causes the death of a human being while committing domestic abuse, when the perpetrator has engaged in a past pattern of domestic abuse upon the victim or upon another family or household member and the death occurs under circumstances manifesting an extreme indifference to human life; or

(7) causes the death of a human being while committing, conspiring to commit, or attempting to commit a felony crime to further terrorism and the death occurs under circumstances manifesting an extreme indifference to human life.

(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a), clause (4), "prosecuting attorney" has the meaning given in section 609.221, subdivision 2, paragraph (c), clause (4).

(c) For the purposes of paragraph (a), clause (4), "judge" has the meaning given in section 609.221, subdivision 2, paragraph (c), clause (5).

(d) For purposes of paragraph (a), clause (5), "child abuse" means an act committed against a minor victim that constitutes a violation of the following laws of this state or any similar laws of the United States or any other state: section 609.221; 609.222; 609.223; 609.224; 609.2242; 609.342; 609.343; 609.344; 609.345; 609.377; 609.378; or 609.713.

(e) For purposes of paragraph (a), clause (6), "domestic abuse" means an act that:

(1) constitutes a violation of section 609.221, 609.222, 609.223, 609.224, 609.2242, 609.342, 609.343, 609.344, 609.345, 609.713, or any similar laws of the United States or any other state; and

(2) is committed against the victim who is a family or household member as defined in section 518B.01, subdivision 2, paragraph (b).

(f) For purposes of paragraph (a), clause (7), "further terrorism" has the meaning given in section 609.714, subdivision 1.

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
    Subdivision 1.Intentional murder; drive-by shootings.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or

(2) causes the death of a human being while committing or attempting to commit a drive-by shooting in violation of section 609.66, subdivision 1e, under circumstances other than those described in section 609.185, paragraph (a), clause (3).
    Subd. 2.Unintentional murders.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or

(2) causes the death of a human being without intent to effect the death of any person, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict bodily harm upon the victim, when the perpetrator is restrained under an order for protection and the victim is a person designated to receive protection under the order. As used in this clause, "order for protection" includes an order for protection issued under chapter 518B; a harassment restraining order issued under section 609.748; a court order setting conditions of pretrial release or conditions of a criminal sentence or juvenile court disposition; a restraining order issued in a marriage dissolution action; and any order issued by a court of another state or of the United States that is similar to any of these orders.

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.

(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

(b) Whoever, without intent to cause death, proximately causes the death of a human being by, directly or indirectly, unlawfully selling, giving away, bartering, delivering, exchanging, distributing, or administering a controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $40,000, or both.

• dgmdgm
    edited June 3
    Looking at 1st degree, I don't see how they could convict on that, unless there's some CRAZY evidence that we don't know about. Proving that Chauvin intentionally, with premeditation, killed Floyd is a hell of a stretch.

Murder 1 is just not chargeable here, based on any publicly available evidence.
    (You both planned and intended to kill him, and the state can prove it was planned)

Murder 2 is getting closer, but you still have to prove Chauvin's intent to kill, without premeditation.
    (You intended to kill him, but it wasn't on your dayplanner)

Murder 3 was what I had predicted would be charged, and what made sense to me based on the public evidence.
    (You didn't intend to kill him, but what you did was so unbelievably reckless that you should have known it would kill him and you gave no fucks)
  • 609.19(1) gets it if they can prove intent, which probably means finding a motive.
  • Maybe there's something to the fact that they worked security at the same club.
  • Nope. Still cardiopulmonary arrest. Aka he stopped breathing so his heart stopped beating.
  • The pics of the four officers in orange is a bit heartbreaking. From the video, it seemed like the other cops treated everyone at the scene very gently.

https://truecrimedaily.com/2020/06/03/sources-derek-chauvin-to-be-charged-with-second-degree-murder-3-other-officers-to-face-charges/
  • This episode has some odd facets, like Floyd and Chauvin having known one another from Chauvin's 17 year employment at a club.

If PO culture doesn't permit one PO to say to another "If you are going to kill this guy, please don't do it with me standing there...on camera".
  • Maybe Floyd had dirt on Chauvin & Chauvin decided to tie up loose ends.

He kept his knee on him until he was sure Floyd was dead.
  • "Maybe Floyd had dirt on Chauvin & Chauvin decided to tie up loose ends."

That's one possibility. Maybe Floyd saw Chauvin do some dirt at the club.

Another option... Maybe Chauvin knew Floyd was sort of a shitbag, and he was thinking "finally I can get this meth-using piece of shit armed robber skel off the streets."
  • Or they hated each other for any extraneous reason people hate each other. How stupid does a person need to be to kill a jerk while someone films it?
  • "How stupid does a person need to be to kill a jerk while someone films it? "

Maybe Chauvin is insane. The nonchalance with which he kills Floyd on that video is pretty shocking.
  • I used to work for a former HPD officer back in the mid-90s. He'd regale me with "war stories" all the time. To set things up, when I knew him he was on future ex-wife number 3 (mid-divorce) and on the hunt for number 4. His attitude was so unbelievably mean and cynical it was revolting.

He told me one story about when he had to work on Christmas Day. He'd had a fight with wife 2 and stormed out of the house. He decided that day that someone, he didn't care who, was going to jail that day. I don't think his mentality was unique for the department. At least, or especially, not back then. HPD had quite a reputation in the 70s and early 80s.

My point being, if Chauvin was as bad as my old boss (and he is likely much worse), I wonder if he casually mentioned to someone in his immediate circle, "I'm going to kick somebody's ass today. I don't care who, but some motherfucker out there is going to get hurt."

It would not surprise me.
  • Ann Coulter's reminder of some of the reasons for skepticism toward the Racism! narrative:

https://www.takimag.com/article/on-the-other-hand-theres-rodney-king/

• dgmdgm
    edited June 4
    I can't even really read past her first blatant factual error without cringing and wondering if she's being intentionally deceitful.

"It turns out, for example, Floyd didn’t die of asphyxiation. According to the Hennepin County medical examiner’s report cited in the criminal complaint charging Officer Derek Chauvin with murder, he died of a heart attack."

No. Cardiopulmonary Arrest is not a heart attack. It's Cardiopulmonary arrest. If the ME had meant to write Myocardial infarction, he would have.

And, as another attorney explained to me "you take the victim as you find them". So the fact that he had consumed fentanyl and methamphetamine, and had underlying health conditions doesn't really bear on whether Chauvin's actions were the proximate cause of Floyd's death. I imagine if the ME had found sufficient levels of the drugs in his system to indicate an overdose, he would have stated such in his report.

"But for" Chauvin's actions, Floyd would probably have survived the day.

Even if Coulter was right about it being a Heart Attack (she isn't) if three men kneeling on you causes a heart attack, the manner of death is still homicide, no?

As far as the racism angle... It hardly even matters, as far as the case against Chauvin, IMO. I'm not a fan of "hate crime" legislation, and think that whether you killed a man because you didn't like his melanin levels, or didn't like they way he spoke to you at work, the point is that you intentionally killed a man, and that debt has to be paid.