COVID-19

Comments

• By the way, I'm really curious to know if/when any of us know if someone (firsthand) that has been diagnosed with covid-19.
  • I am unaware
  • dgmdgm
    edited March 14
    I have a coworker who's grandmother died in Kirkland. Her aunt is sick now as well.

My company has been instructed to work from home wherever possible.

We have opened our wifi hotspots for free to everyone in the country for 60 days.

We have turned off usage based billing for internet usage for the next 60 days.
  • That's actually pretty cool. Hopefully AT&T will do the same.
  • If you have some time to listen.
  • ZedZed
    edited March 15
    A sobering article:
    https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Though the authors credibility has been called into question based on the comments after the article. He has provided few sources of his data, has no known background in the topic he presented, and is known for "storytelling".
  • I pretty much hate Joe Rogan and don't want to give him the click. What's the video about?
  • He's interviewing an infectious disease expert.
  • Just spoke with a client in Omaha who is closing his office because a client of his was diagnosed.
  • Yeah, I saw that video a couple of days ago.

What’s wrong with Rogan?

I disagree with him on plenty of things but he does seem to have an open minded approach that I find it refreshing
  • Yep. I think he's a good interviewer, if a bit goofy at times.

He actually lets his guests speak.
  • I watched the video.

Damn
  • Welp, I needed a 9V battery, so being an adventurous soul (and going in heavy) I ventured into my local Kroger to see how bad things have gotten, and evidently the world hasn't come to an end quite yet. The parking lot was filled to what I would consider normal for a Saturday evening. Lots of carts available, and a nice young lady in the airlock was providing sanitizing wipes to anyone that wanted one. Produce shelves were well stocked, people were sitting in the embedded Starbucks, there was a good crew at the in-house bar (yes, there's a bar in Kroger). Meat department had signage indicating that customers were limited to 3 packages of any meat. TP shelves were barren, as were those for sanitizing wipes, bottled water, rubbing alcohol. Checkout lines were normal.

Corporate sent out an email restricting ALL travel with the exception of commuting, sales & service calls. That said, with all of our customers WFH... not sure how much travel I'll actually be able to do.
  • Had an exchange with my brother, and internal medicine doc. He left private practice in Knoxville a couple of years ago and went back to hospital practice in NC. I asked him how concerned he was and he said quite a bit. Not necessarily for him or his wife (pediatrician) since they're both healthy, but he said he *does* expect them both to get it as some point. I asked if he was worried about getting overwhelmed like the HC workers in Italy. He said, "Mmmmm... Hadn't thought about it yet. Maybe best I don't."
  • dgmdgm
    edited March 15
    I was buying more camping provisions this morning at the local Walmart. Also went in heavy, and wearing nitrile gloves.

We got almost everything we needed there, except for eggs. A reefer 18 wheeler was rolling into the lot at the same time we got there, so they were restocking. The meat section was pretty well stocked overall, with some things in low supply, but we got the ground beef and ground lamb that we were looking for.

The TP aisle was totally ransacked. They have stocked those shelves with big rubbermaid totes instead.

Friday night, we heard that there was no fruit/veg in the store. When we went in the morning, the produce was well stocked.

At the King Sooper's(Kroger brand) grocery store around the corner we got 3 dozen eggs, so we can make our yearly batch of breakfast burritos that we freeze and use for camping.
  • Ha. Bought eggs this AM too.
    Grocery store was pre holiday busy, but not too bad.
    The TP thing is an oddity, isn't it?

Turns out a fellow that tested positive had visited my son's school
    for a job fair program last week. Schools are already closed, but got
    a call saying they're disinfecting the place.

Junior's not worried. He road dirt bikes for 3 hours today....& It snowed, thank God. Maybe the cold will help kill it.

He's got that "indestructible teen" mentality going.

Yeehaw.

• edited March 16
    Mike DeWine is an absolute fucking moron.

Every restaurant in Ohio has been ordered to close, except carry out.

What are servers or bartenders supposed to do?
    The panic over this is so beyond nuts.
  • I guess he'll get the Chinese/Cambodian/Vietnamese vote.

I don't go out to eat much, but I may now stop at places I used to go if they stay open and tell Dewine to suck it.
  • Might be kind of moot. If people do what they're supposed to anyway, many/most of those in-person servers are going to lose their jobs.
  • Fed rate down to 0-0.25%
  • Well that’s stupid.

First of all, anyone who thinks that the entire population won’t eventually be exposed to the virus is kidding themselves. It’s a fucking cold virus.

Secondly, a public health threat is either serious enough to close down bars and restaurants or it isn’t. What the fuck is this half open/half closed bullshit?

So it’s OK for me to come in and expose everybody in the restaurant to my infection as long as I don’t hang out?

• Well, we're now mostly working from home with an alternating support presence in the office. Techs and inspectors in the field are on staggered shifts.
  • Nakona - "First of all, anyone who thinks that the entire population won’t eventually be exposed to the virus is kidding themselves. It’s a fucking cold virus."

It's supposedly about "Flattening the curve". If everyone gets sick at once the system will break, if they can spread it over time it will be more manageable.
    https://media14.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/202003/n_hayes_curve_200309_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg

I don't know how to post pics anymore.

• edited March 16
    Every time someone says, "I hope this is over soon.", I say, "No you don't."

I am concerned that if the strategy of restricting transmission works, the idiots will all say, "See? Told you it was nothing." *sigh*
  • Bird wrote, "I am concerned that if the strategy of restricting transmission works, the idiots will all say, "See? Told you it was nothing." *sigh* "

The issue is proportionality and cost.

Restricting nursing home access makes sense inasmuch as they contain a population sensitive to ordinary conditions like cold and flu. Spiking the unemployment rate artificially for an illness that may or may not have a higher mortality rate than seasonal flu is going to hurt people. If you are a waitress, or work an over-priced beer concession at a sportsball arena, it's government that has ruined your life, not a virus.

If you are 90 and in a nursing home, you are likely to die from the flu at some point whether that's this year, the next, or the one after that.

If you are in your 70s and working, the fact is that this is going to work its way through the population and you are likely to get it at some point.
  • What is the cost of an overwhelmed healthcare system?
  • ZedZed
    edited March 16
    More widespread death. Front line health workers will be come ill and be unable to provide medical attention to others. They will not be easily replaced, thus the remaining health workers will be even more heavily loaded to the point where they need to turn people away from being treated. Meaning that even the usual 'routine' medical needs will become potentially fatal. Likely a triage system would be enacted where people with low prospects would not receive the full medical attention to which we are accustomed.
  • "What is the cost of an overwhelmed healthcare system?"

Worse treatment. Hospital and clinic workers are going to get sick either way.
  • "Worse treatment"

I think that undersells the risk a bit.
  • This article from WaPo (not pay blocked for a change) has some nice graphics that model the situation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/