COVID-19

Comments

• He was in full Huckleberry Finn mode, but most of the words were clear enough.
  • Dewine has closed the schools for three weeks.
  • My youngest texted me. He's all smiles.
  • It just occurred to me that Tom Hanks might be the most important person on the planet right now.

Most crises or, in the end, about psychology.

If he survives, and he almost certainly will, people will feel like everything is going to be OK.

On the other hand, if Forrest Gump dies; people will lose their fucking minds.
  • I asked my daughter to pick up a few things from the store for dinner. It was fucking wiped out. The shelves looked like Venezuela. Unbelievable!
  • I was having VERY PRECISELY that conversation with a friend last night MC.

How did you get the listening device in my house? I'm serious. Your comment about Hanks must be part of the jungian collective unconscious or some shit.
  • It's always wrong that you laughed. That's how you know it's wrong.
  • I back-doored Alexa.
  • Kinky
  • "Alexa, who's your back door man?"

It's interesting. The large stores like BJ's, Sams Club, Walmart are all out of the new survival gear (toilet paper, Purell, paper towels) but the smaller chains are mostly ok. I stopped at Acme on the way home to pick up a few things & the shelves were a bit thin, but nothing major.
  • edited March 13
    " I stopped at Acme on the way home to pick up a few things & the shelves were a bit thin, but nothing major."

Their rocket powered rollerskates are the best, and they have quick delivery.
  • ......& yet the Coyote never wins.

meep meep
  • I stopped at a Kroger in downtown Atlanta late last night, and upon approach to the entrance noticed that there were no carts available. Then, upon approaching the "airlock" doors the sensors had been disabled, but doors could be opened manually. After I walked in, a store manager quickly closed (slammed) the doors behind me. Once I was inside, it was eerie, it could have been a set for a zombie movie. Carts abandoned in the aisle with produce in them, products scattered on the floor like there had been multiple altercations. The checkout lines were from the front of the store to the back, and the self checkout line took at least 30 minutes to get through. People had carts full of anything & everything. And yet, there was this old guy a couple slots ahead of me that picked up anything/everything that happened to be next to him as we advanced towards the register just to look at it, and put it back down... while touching his face/eyes repeatedly. It was a really weird vibe.

Internally (work) we've cancelled all training, frozen hiring, and are receiving continuing communications about what to do/not do. Offices remain open. Customers for the most part, are still allowing access to their facilities.
  • Yesterday I got the call that schools would be closed for three weeks. (Though Dewine noted that pre-schools and daycare could remain open. What could go wrong with mannerless snot monsters seeing one another everyday?) The courts are expected to announce something similar tomorrow.

Telling people not to work is something like a state enforced recession.
  • That's crazy, Zed.
    I hope you were carrying.

• Only my SOG pocket knife, unfortunately. Had come from a work event, so going in heavy wasn't an option. The weird thing is that everyone in the store was either blase or chuckling over what they were witnessing. I don't imagine it will be too long before we hear of some ruckus in a grocery store. I mean, we've seen this sort of shit around Black Friday sales before, now that this is perceived as a life/death situation, I imagine some folks social graces are going to be wearing thin soon enough.
  • What the fuck were you doing going to a store in downtown ATL. You know better.
  • My company has told us to WFH for a month starting on Monday. We can only go into the office with special permission/need.
  • ZedZed
    edited March 14
    "My company has told us to WFH for a month starting on Monday. We can only go into the office with special permission/need."

Wow. I think we'll probably be there soon enough. They've already sent out corporate wide emails regarding training in the use of online meeting tools like Webex/Skype etc.

Dekalb County has closed schools "Until further notice"
    Penn State has announced all classes are now to be held remotely.
    Emory university has asked all students to vacate the campus, including residence halls and not to return until March 29.
    And I just scored suite tickets to a Atlanta United match! :facepalm: :rolleyes:

• Cox cable is on WFH through 3/31
  • "My company has told us to WFH for a month starting on Monday. We can only go into the office with special permission/need."

Aw, C'MON! /Seth

Do you want the disintegration of society? Because this is how you get the disintegration of society.
  • On the bright side, the lack of traffic is awesome.
  • “ Do you want the disintegration of society? Because this is how you get the disintegration of society.”

So you’re saying there’s a bright side?
  • We've made the decision to cancel our AU vacation. >:-(
  • What were your criteria?
  • Too many combined risks.

Mostly the possibility of getting stuck or quarantined somewhere. AU has now banned all gatherings >500 people. Many sporting events are canceled. Locals were telling me about a lot of supply shortages, which would impact us directly. Lots of stores are closing down, etc. Even if those other risks weren't present, it seemed like we just wouldn't be able to enjoy Australia with all this going on.
  • That sucks, Dave
  • Damn, sorry to hear, Dave.

Kids were supposed to start spring break on Monday, but the district closed schools today and aren't planning to reopen until the 31st. I have a feeling that will be pending.
  • Got an email from church last night, all in person services and events are canceled for the next 2 weeks.