COVID-19

Comments

• The Mosin will have a lot more recoil and muzzle flash. I've read that ballistically the 7.62x54r and 30-06 are quite similar when used in barrels of comparable length. But since the M1 is semi-auto some of the recoil is dissipated.

Both rifles will generate a muzzle velocity around 2800 fps, and the projectiles are going to be about the same weight, in the 150-180gr range. So either one is going to generate about 2800-2900 ft-lb of energy.

The Finnish variants are sometimes chambered in 7.62x53 according to Wiki, so double check what yours is set up for.
  • edited March 9
    Finnish mosins are reputed to be the nicest.

M1 as in M1 Garand? Those are pretty gentle. MNs look violent.
  • It's heavy. Really, really heavy. I mean, schlepping it to the range and firing from a standing or prone position is probably fine, but I can't imagine having to use it in the cold and snow a few miles outside of the Arctic Circle.

dgm - Thanks for the tip. I thought 54mm was exotic enough. How easily can 53mm ammo be found?
  • I've never seen 7.62x53.

7.62x54r is widely available, including in milsurp "spam cans".
  • SGAmmo has it in stock @.75/rd
    Not cheap

A few years back, we hit the range and had a Mosin(mine), M1 Garand, Enfield .303, and a Yugo Mauser (8mm)

The Garand was the least punishing of the bunch.
  • I've shot two garands. The first was a surplus item purchased off a rack and something like Dick's for $75. It felt poorly lubricated, had a creepy, heavy trigger and the springs felt tired. It kicked a bit.

The second was a match prepared example. The trigger was perfect, it was accurate and the recoil was very gentle, more gentle than an AR carbine with a 3 ounce buffer.
  • My buddy's was a WW2 rifle. I don't know how it was set up but when the clip sprang out I almost shit myself. LOL
  • Crap. 3 Ohioans tested positive for covid-19

I was hoping we'd be the last.
  • "I was hoping we'd be the last."

Proper response:

"Cheer up, Mark, Ohio can't be last at -everything- "

HA!
  • .......& DeWine declared a state of emergency.
  • Biden and Sanders both have events today in Cleveland. Could DeWine's state of emergency lead to cancellation of those events?

Fingers crossed.
  • That would be nice.

• I was promised a zombie apocalypse and all I got was an overly ambitious cold.
  • Just wait till they roll out the vaccine. ;)
  • I saw that movie.
  • Nice.

BTW, hit the grocery store last night.
    Everything was normal.

Living out in BFE has its perks.
  • 1st case in Canton reported
  • Well, they just canceled the remainder of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. This is a pretty big deal here. It is supposed to last for several weeks and brings in a LOT of money.
  • edited March 11
    Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I mean, my god she is stupid.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericasVoiceNews/videos/670110463815990/

I don't know what's worse... Her racism claims (it's other Chinese who are avoiding Chinese restaurants) or her repeating use of the not-really-a-word, "patroning".

"Learn a book, Seth!"
  • I still go to Chinese restaurants. It's not like I'm going to get my bat soup fix at McDonalds.
  • See, this is the kind of shit that really pisses me off about the media:

CORONA VIRUS 10 TIMES MORE LETHAL THAN THE FLU!!!!
    https://theweek.com/speedreads/901470/coronavirus-10-times-more-lethal-than-seasonal-flu-trumps-task-force-immunologist-says

And the leading paragraph:
    "Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told lawmakers during a House Oversight Committee hearing Wednesday that COVID-19 — the disease caused by the novel coronavirus — is probably about 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu."

But dig in a little deeper and...

"At the same time, he did clarify that 10 times figure actually brings the new coronavirus' fatality rate lower than official estimates, which hover around 3 percent. The flu has a mortality rate of about 0.1 percent, so, when considering the likelihood that there are many asymptomatic or very mild cases that have gone undiagnosed, Fauci places the new coronavirus' lethality rate at somewhere around 1 percent."

Technically that makes "10 TIMES MORE LETHAL" true, but a headline saying "DR ANTHONY FAUCI EXPECTS 1% MORTALITY RATE" probably doesn't send the right message.
  • The average mortality rate for the total population is pointless to report without further context anyway, because of the spread of mortality rates across age ranges, and other factors.

• Some NPR nitwit noted that CV19 fatalities are primarily the elderly and continued "Of course, that someone who dies is 85 rather than a child makes it no less tragic."

Jeebus. Of course it does. The 85 year old has probably been praying for a quick death for a while.
  • I always say that progressives are really bad at math, and yet I routinely find myself surprised at the new and interesting ways they continue to find to be bad at it.
  • Gov. Mike Dewine also distinguished himself in arguing on radio for a Red Flag Law (which the Gen. Assembly later rejected). He attempted to argue the constitutionality of the RFL without forming a single coherent sentence.
  • Were the individual words, at least, coherent, or was he patroning AOC’s style?