al-Baghdadi is dead

Is this Trump's October surprise?

Is that why the media is so desperate to downplay and minimize the operation?

It's kind of a cute tightrope they're walking, having to congratulate and respect the Special Forces who accomplished the deed, while shitting on the President in the same breath.

Comments

• Another austere religious scholar bites the dust.
  • I just want to know more about the dog.
  • I have read that the dog is a female Belgian Malinois. Interesting thing that I recently learned... Those special ops dogs have official ranks and are considered non-commissioned officers. The dog supposedly outranks her handler.
  • dgmdgm
    edited October 29
    Not directed at you specifically Seabird -

I find the idea of dogs as "officers" pretty absurd, tbh. Especially when they are referred to as "sworn officers" in news articles talking about how a K9 was injured or killed in the line of duty, or whatever. Dogs can't fucking swear to anything. They're dogs, not people.

I like dogs, but give me a fucking break on this anthropomorphic horseshit, the purpose of which is transparently to provide for greater penalties for people whose natural reaction when being attacked by an animal is to defend themselves.
  • I have no first hand knowledge, but the reason for non-comming K9s in the military (so I have heard and read) is that it develops a level of respect between the handler and the other guys in the unit toward the dog. Again, no personal experience, but I imagine that as big as the US military is, you'll get different reactions to it from different people. Some probably agree with you that it's horseshit, and some will likely agree with the other rationale that rank is important and by applying to the working dogs, it helps to create an esprit de corps that might not be there otherwise.
  • edited October 29
    dgm said:

I like dogs, but give me a fucking break on this anthropomorphic horseshit, the purpose of which is transparently to provide for greater penalties for people whose natural reaction when being attacked by an animal is to defend themselves.

Ditto. Dogs are great.

As to the other part, a couple of decades ago I caught a moment of one of those cop shows, the genre that shows criminals being apprehended, then cuts to a charisma free fellow in uniform describe the ordinary thing you just watched as heroism. In this one, they found their man and the police dog, a shepherd that must have weighed 120 pounds, had shredded the mans jeans and cornered him. The man kicked the dog that was apparently trying to bite him.

Since it was a police dog, the wooden voiced uniform reported that the man was charged with assaulting a police officer, a felony.
  • If a dog can be "sworn in" does that provide legal status as an entity that can provide consent?  Does that mean that people can marry their dog (assuming it passes legal age /7).
  • Gross
  • ZedZed
    edited November 1
    I dunno man... think about it... most dogs are better people than people.
  • Zed said:

I dunno man... think about it... most dogs are better people than people.