Do we understand life better as we age, or do current events invite easier judgment?

DJT is the target of an internal government plan to frustrate the legitimate result of a presidential election, is semi-publicly investigated, and a report is issued to Congress finding nothing to warrant prosecution.  DJT talks to the Ukraine's exec about an investigation that was thwarted the prior VP told the Ukraine to fire the prosecutor who would have investigated the VP's own son, but DJT's conversation has dems sure that this is finally their opening.

That doesn't seem merely legally and factually askew and politically cretinous; it seems nuts.

A 16 year old Swedish girl with a serious mental disorder takes her sailboat across the Atlantic so a couple of other people can fly a jet from Europe to retrieve it.  She does this to complain about the climate change that she asserts things like jets cause.  She lodges her complaint against an international body with many members countries in which children were often so malnourished that they went blind (a problem we fixed largely with vitamin A fortified rice).  She angrily weeps about the injustice of her life which has been lived almost entirely in the best 16 years of human history and in one of the most wealthy societies in the world.

This is covered almost entirely uncritically.  That's not mere bias; it's nuts.

Comments

• But the Greta memes are lit AF. Worth it, imo.
  • I think the first is true...
    As we age we gain experience and hopefully wisdom.

That said, the type of information soaked environment we live on has no precedent and we haven’t yet figured out how to deal with it.
  • Ha. I had seen the Greta memes, but didn't know who she was.
  • edited September 26
    MC Escher said:

I think the first is true...
    As we age we gain experience and hopefully wisdom.

That said, the type of information soaked environment we live on has no precedent and we haven’t yet figured out how to deal with it.

The ratio of noise to accurate information seems higher.  I deal with it by trying to see source documents that people are talking about.  Someone heard from someone who knows a person at Justice that Rosenstein is going to resign, so that's the story for a couple of days.  Only it wasn't true and didn't happen.  That's gossip, not news.

Mara Liasson has a pretty good reputation and appears on both Fox and NPR.  She delivers a slightly different product at each place.  This morning she reported about the "unfounded accusations" of repubs against Biden.  Unfounded?  The man is on tape bragging about getting a result.  (That doesn't make Biden's use of US leverage indefensible, it just means it is indefensible to maintain that he didn't.)

How much of the Kavanaugh hub-bub was real?  Turns out it was mostly gossip based on fiction, but still gets reported breathlessly as breaking news.

The current whistleblower complaint is what the "whistle blower" says he heard from some guys.
  • You touched on something that is a major issue.

Source documents.

Almost nobody knows what source document or original research is these days.
  • How would they? Who's teaching them?
  • dgm said:

How would they? Who's teaching them?

I’m not surprised about the ones that just have high school diplomas; the ones who have attended college I do find to be shocking. I did not know was possible to get a four year degree in anything without learning this at some point.
  • I've a friend who clerked on the Court of Appeals then did the big firm thing where you get real money but they work you to death.  She is over every Christmas.

One year she was complaint about how GWB wasn't elected, but was handed the election by the Sup Ct.  I asked if she'd read the FL Sup. Ct. the reversal of which was her gripe.  She hadn't.

And that's a smart person.
  • nbody said:

Is she, though?
  • edited September 26
    Most likely thought reading it would disprove the notion she was so sure of.
  • 2.FOH. said:

This. Information avoidance.
  • dgm said:

nbody said:

Is she, though?
    Honestly, yes, she's quite smart.

Seabird said:

2.FOH. said:

This. Information avoidance.
    Something about passion unbalances people.  I do things for my girls that don't always make good sense, but at least those are people.  Having a passion about electoral politics seems unwise, so much so that I could understand calling it a disorder.
  • Something about passion unbalances people.

Greta Thunberg stressed kid in school meme photoshopped
  • current events invite easier judgement, for sure.

i mean, kids eating tide pods? DJT alone.