Hey Bird

Noah's Ark time yet?

Everyone doing ok?

Comments

• If you're under water, you probably aren't reading this.
  • We need to send Bird one of these.

• edited September 21
    You'll be sorry you asked. Grab a drink and read on if you're bored. I give you my Iliad...

The last 36 hours have been... interesting. This thing was looking dangerously like Harvey for a minute. Technically hurricane season doesn't end until Nov, but 99% of the time we're out of the woods after the second week of Sept. Except we haven't had our first fall cool front to push any lows out of the area yet. So Imelda arrived kind of late (typical woman). Then it hung around longer than she was supposed to (again, aptly named storm). Because yesterday morning started out fine, everyone left home for work or school like normal. By 10 AM, the shit hit the fan. It can turn that quickly down here.

When a snow storm hits up there, does everyone lose their collective shit? Because down here, the process is:

News: "Waters are rising and the roads are impassable."

People: "FUCK! I have to leave now and get home! I think I can beat it."

Me: "You people."

So, managing my staff who are all in a panic. And dealing with my almost 18 yo daughter who wants to drive 18 miles to her mom's house instead of 3 to mine (because her important stuff is there). It was hectic.

The storms finally relent and I head home. My front gate gets a bit floody and Jill decides to walk the dogs (ours and the foster) and opens the driveway gate instead. She gets back. She forgets to close it. Then she lets the dogs outside later.

And they disappear.

We were up till midnight searching. No bueno. I'm posting on FB, nextdoor, contacting the rescue org, pawboost, etc... I am beside myself. I slept maybe 3 hours and am up at 5:30 working on flyers. I left the gate open and the door unlocked all night on the off chance that my dog Tachi will find her way home along with the foster. She knows how to open the door on her own (another story). It's a weird long shot.

Sitting in bed responding to posts that came in over night, I hear a click from the front door. Grab my gun and my dog was in the house and just came over to me, put her head in my chest and let out a whine.

Took the day off from work and Jill and I canvasses the area with flyers. Took my dog on a walk hoping to attract the foster who hadn't returned and who is skittish and timid. No luck.

The minute we walked in the door at 11 am, I get a call. A neighbor spotted the foster at a local elementary school.

*SIGH*

Both dogs are home and safe, but my dog is acting like she's hungover.

Bitch.
  • Wow. Glad the puppers made it home!

Sounds like no property damage to speak of?
  • No, I live in an area called The Heights. It's not just a quaint name. We're the highest point in the city and supposedly my street is the highest point therein. My house was built in the 1920s before we "defeated" Mother Nature.
  • Holy crap, Chris.

Glad the mutt's survived.

I was in Iowa for work, Wed & Thurs & the sales rep with me is from Houston.
    Harvey wiped out his house (he & his family were in an apartment for 8 months while things were rebuilt)

I called him after I landed Thursday afternoon & he mentioned Bush was closed.
    He had to stay the night & a tree fell on his garage.

Eeesh.

• edited September 22
    Seabird said:

When a snow storm hits up there, does everyone lose their collective shit? Because down here, the process is:

News: "Waters are rising and the roads are impassable."

People: "FUCK! I have to leave now and get home! I think I can beat it."

Me: "You people."

Up here it's...

News: "We're expecting 12" - 14" in this storm. We've got team coverage all over the metro area."
    People: "Oh shit! I need to get to Home Depot and get a snow blower and to the grocery store and buy bread, milk, and eggs so that I can gain 100 lbs. eating only French toast!"
    Grocery Stores: "Yay us!"
    Home Depot: "Yay us!"
    Me: *yawn*

*10 hours later*

Me: uses broom to sweep the 0.7" of snow off the front porch.

Glad everything turned out okay. Dog 1 has escaped a couple times, but always when we've been paying attention. So we've never had to go to bed not knowing where he was. I can't even imagine.
  • Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Up north where it actually snows, everyone has 4wd.
  • Seabird said:

When a snow storm hits up there, does everyone lose their collective shit?

Weather by the lake has a predictable cycle. It's often remarkably warm into December. This gives rise to people worrying that there won't be snow for Christmas. You know, because they remember that snow is so pretty.

When it snows enough to actually stick to the roads, you realise that since last March, people forgot that snow and ice are slippery and there are roughly a thousand multi-car fender benders. You'll see vehicles spun off onto the side of the road, almost always a 4wd truck or a Subaru. Rush hour becomes rush hour and a half.

By January, people forget what the sun looks like. In the elevator, they ask if this is the worst one since '77. We all congratulate one another for not having succumbed to seasonal affective disorder. It gets genuinely cold and the big warm lake evaporates so hard that some real snow is inevitable.

By February, people "have to get out of here" and talk about going somewhere warm, or moving away permanently. Someone has a cousin in the deep south and they don't have to put up with this. They walk into offices and proclaim "Goddammit it's cold out there!" as if it's news.

In April, it's still cool, but people have to wear a sweater or light coat, so they still talk about wanting it to get warm.

In June, when we have our first hot day (hot here is anything over 80f), every walks out to talk to neighbors about how wonderful it is that summer is here. Then we turn on the AC and don't see anyone outside until the leaves fall.
  • Regardless of our varied climates, one universal truth stands out: People suck.

Chris - glad you and the pops are safe and sound.
  • Humans are why I'm racist.
  • When it snows enough to actually stick to the roads, you realise that since last March, people forgot that snow and ice are slippery and there are roughly a thousand multi-car fender benders. You'll see vehicles spun off onto the side of the road, almost always a 4wd truck or a Subaru. Rush hour becomes rush hour and a half.

Yep.

Very predictable.
  • The same shit happens in Colorado with snow. You'd think people would remember the shit shit is slippery. But nah.
  • edited September 23
    Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes. I forgot to say that earlier when everything was haywire.

This is now on order:

The foster is going to my sis in law and we're going to make her get one, too.
  • Seabird said:

This is now on order:

I've seen those advertised but haven't yet been willing to take the leap. I'll be interested to hear how they work.