Hypothetically Speaking: Car Content

So... let's just say that a user here (me) is pining for a car he used to own.  And that car was a grey-market car, not destined for the US market, imported to CA a few years after manufacture.

Now, taking into consideration the "25 year rule" that allow for the import for vehicles that are non-confirming to domestic safety, emissions, and assorted other bullshit regs...

Said user has been scouring the typical haunts (BaT, ebay, etc) for candidate cars as a platform for another project, but they are few and far between.  But, the international market has many more examples to choose from, in better condition, and cheaper initial acquisition price. 

Maybe an example in Belgium or Germany, for the sake of argument.  How you you suggest that this user go about having a local party take care of some of the particulars (acting as an agent, of sorts) around taking delivery, readying for shipment, etc.  Obviously, the relevant paperwork would be done domestically for importation.  I was nerve-wrecking enough buying my last car, sight-unseen, from Texas, but even with that, there was some protection.  Buying a car in a foreign market, not so much...

Thoughts or should I cut down on caffeine and vodka?

Comments

• My friend Kurt in Germany might be a good help. He's bought and sold a lot of VWs and Audis over the years, and done a bunch of his own wrenching.

He isn't a mechanic, but he is a skeptic and has seen a lot of shit. Could likely aid in local logistics with a mechanic.

Also you should take it easy on the caffeine and vodka.
  • Dave, thank you.  I may stalk him, unless you care to do an intro.

Don't tell me to cut back, I run my own life, thank you.

I tracked down a 316i in Dusseldorf that would a fun project...
  • Thoughts or should I cut down on caffeine and vodka?

Just don't have them at the same time. Consume equal amounts, but separate them by at least an hour.

Separate, but equal.
  • I thought it was two measures of caffeine for every five measures of booze, with some delay but I don't recall how long.
  • Slap said:

I thought it was two measures of caffeine for every five measures of booze, with some delay but I don't recall how long.

That's a speedball.
  • I think you’re just supposed to make sure that the blood content of your caffeine stream doesn’t get too high.