In California

Oldest nephew is getting married so we flew out to Bakersfield California Thursday evening.
We 're staying in Hot Springs. In the middle of nowhere. Reception is spotty. Went to the Sequoias, looked at the big trees.

Rental Sentra drives nice enough, but was struggling in the mountains.
The roads are a blast, though. I'm pretending I'm doing Pikes Peak.

Who knew there were hill Jack areas out here? Lots of friendly folks with Southern & Western accents. My youngest wore his Trump 2020 shirt (roll eyes) & no one assaulted him.

We fly back Monday.
Oldest got us free airfare, which is nice.

Comments

• The central valley in CA is red. Its San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco that fuck it all up.
  • It appears so.

Neat area though. Not sure I'd fly out here for a vacation, but since we were gonna be here anyhow, it's been nice.
  • I was out that way a few weeks ago with work but I decided to drag the family with.  Started in San Diego, drove up to LA and on to Sacramento area.  I went out there a bunch when I was with Cisco but it was good to show the family around.  Nice to visit but too crowded, too expensive and too much crazy.  We had a Nissan Rogue for a rental that was so-so but it was a blast to go through the hills and valleys.

You're very close to Death Valley, head that way!
  • We spent a few days in SF in July on our way out to Hawaii. The wife has family in Walnut Creek and we have a couple of friends in the city. The weather is gorgeous. I got to run along the water front. It's impossible to have a bad meal. But they might as well attach a Hoover to your wallet when you get off the plane. It was also dirtier than my last trip, but not quite as bad as the Drudge headlines would have you believe.
  • Made it home at 2:00 this AM

The closest we came to civilization (besides Bakersfield airport) was Kernville. 
    Small town on the Kern river with saloons, restaurants, antique stores....
    Biggest tourist trade is white water rafting. Breakfast after the wedding was here:

Ewings on the Kern -- fine dining in a fine town

(not my photo, but same spot) Ewing's on the Kern

The roads are crazy. We had a black bear run in front of us in the mountains, along with random cows standing in the middle of the road. They must be part Mountain goat.

I'm pooped.
  • Gorgeous view. I always loved that part of CA. The Sierra Nevada range is simply amazing. If we could just cut off about 100 miles of CA starting at the coast, it would be such a better place.
  • Indeed.

Some random pics..

The wedding location:
    20190910-095921-resized

My youngest in a Sequoia Tree

20190906-141511-resized.jpg

• & by the way, the variety & number of rust free old cars was crazy.