Cement in milkshakes isn't really the issue

I posted this elsewhere but wanted to share here for people who aren't all the way online.

Whether the "milkshakes" thrown by the fascists in Portland contained
cement or not is the wrong debate, and misses the most important point.

Throwing things at people is assault and/or battery depending on the
particular state's definitions. It is a crime, whether there is cement
in it or not.

Furthermore, regarding the cement, or lack thereof, or the combination of cement with an actual milkshake...

Sugar is often used to retard the hardening process of cement,
including in industrial applications. Did you know that before this
controversy? I didn't. Do you think the fascists throwing milkshakes
knew it? I don't.

Even assuming they knew that fact, which is
unlikely, it would actually be a useful property for such an improvised
weapon. Why? Because if you're carrying a "milkshake" around at a
protest, you never really know how long it will be until there's an
unarmed person to throw it at. Therefore, you wouldn't WANT your cement
to harden in your "milkshake" cup.

As to why the issue of cement
matters at all, cement is both strongly alkaline, and exothermic. What
does that mean? It means that cement causes chemical burns if not washed
off quickly with water, and that it gets hot while it cures.

The exothermic nature of the reaction is actually useful in that it
means you can pour concrete in the winter and unless it's REALLY cold,
it can still cure.

For those needing a refresher from high
school chemistry, alkalinity is the opposite of acidity. Acidity is low
pH, and Alkalinity is high pH. The most common alkali you will know of
is lye, aka caustic soda, which is used in the process of making soap.
Lye + fat + time = soap, more or less. The point of this is that cement
isn't something you ever want on your skin, and if it does get on your
skin, you want it off immediately before your skin is injured. Why does
any of this matter? Because intent matters. If it is proven that cement
was used in the milkshakes, that would elevate the criminal intent of
the assault. It's important to understand that in crimes like assault or
battery, you could range all the way from a misdemeanor to a felony,
depending on the seriousness of the attack. I don't know Oregon law, and
I'm not going to look it up right now, but throwing a chemical agent on
a person with the intent to severely injure or disfigure them could
easily be a felony, and likely should be. It doesn't actually matter if
you didn't know your idea wouldn't work due to the constraints of
chemistry. It's the same concept as selling fake drugs, or using a fake
bomb to threaten someone.

To summarize:

If the
milkshake-brandishing fascists knew that sugar interfered with cement
hardening, they're still guilty of the crime of assault.
If the
milkshake-brandishing fascists didn't know that sugar interfered with
cement hardening, they're still guilty of the crime of assault.
If
the milkshake-brandishing fascists put cement in their milkshakes,
they're still guilty of the crime of assault, and maybe a more severe
degree of it.
If the milkshake-brandishing fascists didn't put cement in their milkshakes, they're still guilty of the crime of assault.

Also, Cement is short for "Portland Cement", which makes this whole
thing funnier to me, despite this being another sad chapter in the
decline and ultimate failure of our Republic.

Comments

• I hadn't heard this business about cement in the milkshakes, or thought about it much.  Now that you've written this, a milkshake is a weird thing to throw at people.

I've represented people who do cement work and have burns on their skin from it.  The brief video I had seen of a journalist being hit with these made it look as if people were aiming for his face and head.

One of the things Jordan Peterson warns about is that the over-reach of the left in a matter eventually causes a reaction that may be no more wise than the original over-reach.  How long before counter "protestors" show up with riot shields and battons?
  • A common move from the left, focus on the thing that isn't really the point.  The person was assaulted... yeah, well, it wasn't with concrete.  As if that negates the assault.

Reminds me of the bubble blowing protester a while back that blew bubbles in the face of the cop.  Yeah, well, there wasn't really urine in the bubbles.
  • Would you have heard about this cement business if Dave hadn't posted it?  I admit that I am not following this sort of thing as closely as I once did, but I'd heard nothing of it.

If I were part of this bumpercrop of dems who want to get the nomination, I'd denounce this sort of thing and get the support of 98% of people who think that wearing a mask and tossing caustic chemicals at journalists is a bad thing.  Have any of the couple dozen dwarves (not that there's anything wrong with that) engaged in that sort of denunciation?

Is me not knowing this just a "me" problem, or is it really not a prominent part of the public discussion?
  • I didn't know anything about it but I've been avoiding outrage-news a bit lately.  I enjoy politics but I know we are just getting started and I'm attempting to conserve energy for the full goat rodeo.
  • I saw it on the news (background noise, not paying 100% attention).

Let the Antifa's & Neo Nazi's battle it out in Thunderdome.
  • nbody said:

Would you have heard about this cement business if Dave hadn't posted it?
    I did.

Anyway...
    You’ll notice that these ANTIFA
    twatwaffles dont pull this kind of shit outside of their protected enclaves.

Remember the 2016 GOP convention in Cleveland?

They were definitely talking shit about showing up and disrupting it, but nothing ever materialized.
  • Any holes in my analysis?
  • dgm said:

Any holes in my analysis?

No.  I'd say what is in the "milkshake" isn't the only issue.  If you throw a milkshake from McD's on me, that's still an assault, but the potential for real injury is low.  If you throw a chemical on me to burn me, injury up to or including blinding me, seems likely.

Knowing this, does one have a real apprehension of harm if he sees a rioter with a "milkshake"?  That real apprehension is going to have some oxygen thief's mother on the news talking about what a good boy her son was.  Someone will reasonably calculate that he needs to put down the "protestor" before liquid concrete is thrown in his face.

• dgm said:

Any holes in my analysis?

I didn’t really finish reading it.
  • LOL. Short attention spans up in here.
  • edited July 4
    The additional element I've seen suggested is that when a milkshake is thrown on someone like Neil Farage, the "protester" is also testing their personal security detail for weaknesses. I don't know; seems like it would be just as likely to help the security detail discover and fix weaknesses, but maybe not, maybe with limited resources its about figuring out how small the security detail has to be before they really can't effectively stop an acid attack, so the attacks can be tailored to targets with insufficient security.

Either way I look forward to someone discovering whether throwing the book at these clowns actually deters this kind of idiocy.
  • Books don't generally have sufficient velocity to dispatch a threat. I'd prefer someone throw some lead at one of them.
  • That didn’t happen.

And if it did, it wasn’t that bad.

And if it was, they didn’t mean it.

And if they did, their victims deserved it.
  • Slap said:

Either way I look forward to someone discovering whether throwing the book at these clowns actually deters this kind of idiocy.
    People change their behavior when it becomes more painful to continue than to change.
  • I'd just like to see, before I die, any leftist anywhere face any kind of serious consequences proportional to their crimes. It hasn't happened in my lifetime that I can recall, but it's a dream I have. The primary consequence they seem to suffer, for crimes including treason and murder, seems to be an endowed chair at an ivy league university somewhere.