Our new Alaskan paradise - and another earth destroying SUV

Comments

• That's awesome Dave.

A tower with an M60 would be cool.

For bears & such.
  • No, it’s Alaska, so you’d want at least an M1919, if not a Ma Duece.
  • Oy.

50 caliber prices would make baby Jesus cry.

Better go M1919
  • M134 or go home.
  • Looks beautiful now. I predict that by mid-March, Dave will be trying to compile, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!", over and over again.
  • I commend your discretion in withholding photos of the 4000 sq ft underground storage tank bunkers.
  • We were here from Christmas to New Years and it was great. The darkest part of the year, but still a few hours of daylight here. And it was COOOOLD. So cold, that my outdoor cameras' batteries froze and stopped working until they warmed back up.

We aren't here full-time at this point, so no real risk of losing my mind here due to the dark winter.
  • Dave, a short landing strip & one of those bush planes would go well with the decor.
  • Nice.

heh....I said landing strip & bush in the same sentence.
  • dgm said:

We aren't here full-time at this point, so no real risk of losing my mind here due to the dark winter.

Tell that to the Torrances.
  • I don't know what that means.
  • Me either.

Details on the Pathfinder?

We looked at Frontiers for my son, but they were either too much money, or rusting badly.
  • dgm said:

I don't know what that means.

Family from The Shining. Same thing I referenced in my post.
  • This was too much money also. Every SUV in Alaska is. $6500 at 213k miles is right in line for NADA, unfortunately. The market for used vehicles up here is distorted by scarcity and environmental factors. Cars rust to shit, and Alaskans tend to use every last drop of everything they own.

This car wasn't brought to AK until 2016, so it hasn't had time to get tooooo shitted up.

I need to replace the lift pistons on the rear glass, and I may replace the washer fluid tank, which is cracked somewhere. It holds some fluid, but when I went to fill it up, a bunch ran out. The shocks are a bit worn out too, which also isn't a big deal to fix when I get around to it.

This copy has already had the radiator and transmission replaced recently. There was a fatal flaw in the radiators that caused trans fluid and coolant to mix, ruining transmissions.

• Ohhhh hahaha ok
  • This copy has already had the radiator and transmission replaced recently. There was a fatal flaw in the radiators that caused trans fluid and coolant to mix, ruining transmissions.

I was gonna ask.
    That;s good to hear.
  • I also had to repair a small exhaust leak. The pipe had gotten separated, and the used car dealer welded it up, but didn't do an awesome job. There was about a 1/16" hole in the pipe still, which would have kept eroding.

JB Weld "Steelstik" to the rescue. That stuff is really easy to work with, as epoxies go. I'll have to see how well it holds up over time.