Democrats pass a bill that would give to government sweeping new powers to restrict speech

From Lowry at NR:

The speech-restricting H.R. 1, which passed the House last week, is an affront to the Constitution. 

It seeks to regulate any speech at any time that “promotes or supports the candidate, or attacks or opposes an opponent of the candidate,” a fuzzy standard that could catch up all manner of nonelectoral messages (e.g., “Trump’s tariffs are a mistake,” or “Support Trump’s wall”).

>HR 1 also widens the definition of coordination between a group and a candidate to encompass almost any communication. It’d still be permissible to discuss a candidate’s position on an issue, so long as there is no talk “regarding the candidate’s or committee’s campaign advertising, message, strategy, policy, polling, allocation of resources, fundraising, or other campaign activities.”

<

>Even if a group doesn’t coordinate with a candidate under this loose standard, it could still be deemed to have coordinated if it were founded by someone who goes on to become a candidate; relies on the professional services of someone who also did work for a candidate; or is run by someone who had conversations about a campaign with the relative of a candidate

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/03/nancy-pelosi-for-the-people-act-threatens-free-speech/

Comments

• The democrat house has the luxury of passing nonsense legislation knowing that it won't make it past the senate. Window dressing to appease their increasingly radical base.
  • edited March 12
    Indeed, but putting one's name to something that bad indicates a recklessness.  I don't believe they intend to deceive their voters on these issues; on the contrary, I think they are genuinely intolerant on matters of speech that might keep them from being elected.

Do you doubt that they would pass further restrictions on political speech if they could?  Citizens United has been making morons angry since it was announced.
  • edited March 12
    Oh, I have no doubt that the people who drafted the legislation and pushed for it's passage through the house are sincere, if not stupid.
  • Don’t kid yourself...

Marxism is a tool for dismantling an existing social and political order so that it can be replaced with something else and Marxists have been trying to use it on us since late 19th century progressives decided that social engineering was a good idea.

There are cynical power seekers on the modern left who are using the tools and strategies left behind by the Soviets for their own purposes who are directing the nonsense you see while staying in the shadows.

None of this is new. These sort of games were already old when Alexander was still alive.

These people, both the ones you know about and the ones you don’t, or quite serious in their intention to overthrow the republic and run what comes after for their own benefit.
  • The congressmen themselves may not be stupid, but they may be poorly educated (recall Schatz, the Hawaiian senator who thought Sessions' reference to Anglo-Saxon legal tradition was racist).  You'll still find people at places like the 'pool who think Citizens United found that corporations are people.

I worry less about congressmen with room temp IQs, than I do congressmen who know they rely on the votes of the kind of unreflective, reflexive and shortsightedly self-interested voters who would be fine with speech restrictions if it meant they got their way in the next election.
  • MC Escher said:

These people, both the ones you know about and the ones you don’t, or quite serious in their intention to overthrow the republic and run what comes after for their own benefit.

Once someone invents the electric helicopter, we'll have a solution that won't harm the environment.
  • edited March 12
    nbody said:

Once someone invents the electric helicopter, we'll have a solution that won't harm the environment.

First you need to identify who is in need of transportation without cellular connectivity. While Soros and the MB have left plenty of trails between their front groups and their “faces” (like the former’s backing of the talent agents who created current reality agitprop starlet AOC), as Eric is suggesting the majority of actors with evil intent may be individuals who’ve let neither their parts nor their methods ever come to light.

But anyways, who the fuck wants to wait for helicopters that have to recharge between every flight? Or that lose so much lifting capacity to the shitty power density of batteries?

• Woyzeck said:

But anyways, who the fuck wants to wait for helicopters that have to recharge between every flight? Or that lose so much lifting capacity to the shitty power density of batteries?

We only had 12 years to solve global warming Climate Change, and that was three months ago, so we have to take this seriously.
  • Didn’t we have only four years eleven years ago? Is there an Idiot’s Guide to anthropogenic time dilation that I can pick up somewhere?
  • edited March 12
    I think you may be remembering the decade we had in 1993 before we would have 30 million climate refugees from the rising seas.  I'm not entirely up on how that will mesh with the impending ice age from 1972, but I do know that the world running out of oil in 35 years from 1972 didn't hit me as hard as I thought it would.

We need a crisis-at-a-glance calendar. 
  • Oh, I know...

Helicopters run by electric motors powered by a diesel generator!
  • You know, fuck it. Go nuclear. And I’m not talking like the nuclear powered bomber they fiddled around with back in the day; they proved the necessary shielding added too much weight.

Dust off the Pluto/SLAM project but vent the exhaust through an unobtainium turbine to power a helicopter blade. Completely overkill, I know, but this way you are 1000% guaranteed that nobody sent for a ride will have time to leave a bad review.
  • I have a service that does review harvesting for me.
  • nbody said:

MC Escher said:

Free* rides for everyone!

* subsidized by your faithful taxpayer