Kavanaugh/Covington/Smollett

So if you haven't heard about this Smollett fellow, the story is that he is a well known actor in some tv program.  He appears to have orchestrated a false report of an attack in Chicago he alleged to have been perpetrated by a couple of MAGA cap wearing men whose invective indicated Trump support, racism and identification of Smollett as a homosexual.  

Reactions to the problematic allegation was quick, immoderate and unwise...and relished by those whose narrative was served by the story.  This is not mere confirmation bias.  Nana Mumford wrote in WaPo that she needed the story to be true.

How long before Smollett vows to find the real attackers?

Comments

• I wouldn’t worry about Smollett.

With his ability to manufacture news he has a brilliant career at CNN ahead of him.
  • There was an opinion article in the Daily Beast over the weekend from a guy complaining about the poor state of Black History Month because of Northam and Smollett. Instead of expressing frustration at the latter, he lamented the right-wing press' "gleeful" (I think that was the word) reporting of the alleged hoax.

In the meantime, the very same site published a story about a single mother whose daughter was recently murdered in Chicago, but isn't receiving any attention from the press, and very little from the CPD. A single detective is working the case (among many, I am sure), and he apparently has no leads.
  • dgmdgm
    edited February 20
    Smollett is obviously a liar. This story stank from the beginning.
  • Seabird said:

... he lamented the right-wing press' "gleeful" (I think that was the word) reporting of the alleged hoax.
    That identifies the pathology.  Shouldn't he be glad that Smollett wasn't actually attacked?

If the reaction to a racist assault is "Oh thank God!  It's true!", something is terribly wrong.
  • The leftist chatterboxes on TV NEED "Trump's America" to be a terrible, malevolent place.
  • I think that this is exactly right. It's not about what's right or wrong. It's about service to a political narrative.
  • Like Ocasio Cortez said, facts don't matter; feelings do.
  • Like Ocasio Cortez said, facts don't matter; feelings do.

• The more accurate version would be that facts don't matter; the narrative does.
  • Even while working two jobs @ 100 hrs a week & not feeding my kids, I manage to get one or two things right every once in a while.
  • I can feed my children.  I just choose not to.
  • nbody said:

I can feed my children.  I just choose not to.

Teaching them to forage?

• At least until they can kill a helot, sure.
  • Hmmm... Now I want a gyro for lunch.
  • Seabird said:

Hmmm... Now I want a gyro for lunch.

Cultural appropriation

• Seabird said:

Hmmm... Now I want a gyro for lunch.

Cultural appropriation

Right of Conquest
  • How do we know 'Bird does have a little Greek inside him?

...not that there's anything
  • I am not down to tzatziki!
  • edited February 20
    Boom!

"

CHICAGO—Detectives are presenting evidence to a grand jury Wednesday
    afternoon that actor Jussie Smollett filed a false report when he
    claimed to have been the victim of a racist and antigay attack last
    month, police said.

“He’s officially considered a suspect,” said Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi."

• I was surprised to see CNN this morning ripping on Cory Booker & Kamala Harris for jumping the gun on judgement in this case.
  • The media is one thing, they have profit and agenda reasons for leaping at the latest outrage, it's the regular schmos that fall for it every single time that sadden me.  The deflection and redirection after they are proven false (again) is the worst part.  One of my FB friends response was... "Well, when the president calls white supremacists 'very fine people' this is the sort of thing you get." 
  • Did we give up when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
  • HELL NO!
  • edited February 21

The media is one thing, they have profit and agenda reasons for leaping at the latest outrage, it's the regular schmos that fall for it every single time that sadden me.  The deflection and redirection after they are proven false (again) is the worst part.  One of my FB friends response was... "Well, when the president calls white supremacists 'very fine people' this is the sort of thing you get." 

Remind them that that sort of logic works both ways. When they point to the Coast Guard Lt who was stockpiling weapons for a race war, tell them when people manufacture outrage and oppression, this is the sort of thing you get.
  • They already have an answer for that - 
    "This man’s hit list reads like the President’s Twitter feed. Trump’s daily rants and rhetoric have already incited violence, and just today, he singled out the Washington Post as the “enemy of the people.” Hateful crazy people are listening, and are cheered on by his attacks on political opponents and the press.

“Hasson developed a spreadsheet of targets that included top Democratic congressional leaders and media personalities. The list includes “JOEY,” what prosecutors say is a reference to former congressman Joe Scarborough (R-Fla.), now of MSNBC; “cortez,” an alleged reference to freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-New York); and “Sen blumen jew,” presumably about Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.).”

But go ahead and tell me how your 401(k) is doing."

• edited February 21
    It's doing great.  Thanks for asking!

Did you post that image above on the Facebook?  I would read the unreasonable responses for entertainment.
  • Once again, one man's "stockpile" is another mans "oh shit, I'm running low on ammo".