SOTU - 5 February 2019

I anticipate a great deal of wailing, anger, gnashing of teeth and a surge of CDS among the people of Progtardia on Tuesday night.

I will likely expand on this post later on, but I’ll start with this:

1. Don’t expect another shutdown. The temp shutdown and restart has served its illustrative purpose.

2. Do expect some sort of a “scandal” or other utility distraction this weekend, though it may be Monday or even Tuesday morning.

3. While a declared emergency is possible, I see a strong likelihood of already existing congressional authorizations being used instead.

Comments

• I wouldn't have been surprised if DJT had scheduled a venue for a "SOTU for the American people" immediately after Pelosi's disinvitation.  SOTU's are torture to watch and hear and he wears the drab formality of that kind of communication less comfortably.
  • nbody said:

SOTU's are torture to watch and hear 

Amen

The last one I actually sat &watched all the way through was the 1st one post 9/11

I watched ~ 1/3 of one of BO's if I remember correctly. 
  • edited January 31
    Partly it's because no one says anything new in a SOTU, and partly it's the cadence.  Sentence, applause.  Sentence, cheering.  Recognition of someone, applause.  Point number 17, applause.

It's a format that could give a normal person ADD.

Last night, I walked by the TV and Mrs. Z is has it on a program in which a person sings a song while wearing a head-to-toe costume that conceals her identity.  There are several celebrity judges who are supposed to guess who the disguised people are.  The celebrity judges stand on their table and dance like idiots for an audience of young women who are wearing all the make-up.  The lights are turned up to 11 and everything is shiny.  It's like idiocracy without the charm and humor.

That's what the SOTU seems like for people interested in politics.
  • My aren't you a misogynistic dick.

Does Mrs. Z know you talk about her TV viewing habits to the lads at the frat house?

You wouldn't talk to Seabird like that face to face......I'm telling Rictus.

• 2.FOH. said:

My aren't you a misogynistic dick.

• The comfort zuk feels showing such obvious contempt and disdain for his own wife is indicative of the general toxicity of this entire place. Why everyone else in the world has left here is no mystery. The fact that you all remain should make your own shortcomings obvious. You don't know how lucky you are to have me here to point it all out to you. Not that any of you are honest enough or intelligent enough to heed my words.

I wish you scum would let me help you.
  • This will be the first SOTU I watch in a long time.  I predict Trump puts on a very entertaining show designed to make all the right heads explode, and they will.
  • I really hate how they give the reporters the speech ahead of time which allows them to give away the topics and their commentary before the speech.
  • I was so grateful when we got cable TV when I was a kid. Having to endure the SOTUs on all four VHF channels was torture. We had three UHF channels that offered some relief, but not much.
  • edited February 1
    Seabird said:

We had three UHF channels that offered some relief, but not much.

Masterpiece Theatre/FiringLine, Gilligan's Island/Hogan's Heroes and professional wrestling/Godzilla films.
  • I really hate how they give the reporters the speech ahead of time which allows them to give away the topics and their commentary before the speech.

That’s another reason the press hate him. He speaks off the cuff most of the time.
  • nbody said:

Seabird said:

Masterpiece Theatre/FiringLine, Gilligan's Island/Hogan's Heroes and professional wrestling/Godzilla films.
    Yep,  Star Trek if you were lucky...maybe Sanford & Son.
  • Bingo! Or live basketball, which I hated as a kid.
  • ZedZed
    edited February 1

• 2.FOH. said:

nbody said:

Seabird said:

Yep,  Star Trek if you were lucky...maybe Sanford & Son.
    Ah, the good ol' days.
  • 2.FOH. said:

...maybe Sanford & Son.

Wasn't that a program about the struggle against white privilege, agism and misogyny by a fearless recycler? Or am I remembering the Jeffersons?
  • So you're saying they all look alike to you.

The Jeffersons was about the rise of Big Laundromat. 
  • I just liked the big fella in the crazy hat and suspenders who was such a good dancer.
  • DY-NO-MITE!!!!

• 2.FOH. said:

DY-NO-MITE!!!!

That Gary Coleman always cracked me up!
  • Watchoo talkin ‘bout?
  • Continued...

4. He's going to talk about the economy, infanticide and the wall; in what order I do not know.

5. He might use:
    "10 U.S.C. § 2803 (Section 2803) provides that the secretary of Defense ‘may carry out a military construction project not otherwise authorized by law’ upon determining that (1) ‘the project is vital to the national security or to the protection of health, safety, or the quality of the environment,’ and (2) ‘the requirement for the project is so urgent that’ deferring the project ‘would be inconsistent with national security or the protection of health, safety, or environmental quality.
    "10 U.S.C. § 284 (Section 284) provides that the secretary of Defense ‘may provide support for the counterdrug activities or activities to counter transnational organized crime’ of any law enforcement agency, including through the ‘[c]onstruction of roads and fences and installation of lighting to block drug smuggling corridors across international boundaries of the United States.’ Use of Section 284 Would not require a declaration of a national emergency under the NEA.”

• dgmdgm
    edited February 4

Even google is in on it.

• It's a conspiracy formulated by the Repulicanists.
  • That's a smartly one line-ic.
  • Cleverism is my middle name.
  • I hope someone invites Gov. Northam.

If a baby is born, but then shoe polish is used to put it in "black face", does that influence the conversation of the mother and doc on whether it should live?
  • Thanks.
    I needed a good laugh.
  • 80 minutes?

Screw that