Trump and Pelosi

The summary of the news I've seen is that Pelosi told DJT not to bother to show up for the State of the Union and DJT told Pelosi that if she wants to fly for an overseas event, she can use a commercial service.

NPR had a repub congressman on whose name I didn't catch.  He was pushing a half a loaf compromise, but noted that the "shut down" will continue until one side or the other understands they are losing.

Do either Pelosi o DJT lose this?  I assume bunches of people still read HuffPo and Daily Kos to wallow in the various sorts of insults writers have for DJT.  I also assume quite a few people liked DJT telling Pelosi to fly commercial or cancel her trip.

If people like this, why would either compromise?  Has anyone's life been ruined by this?  Or are we all cursing fate for denying us our apricot ale?

Comments

• Pelosi states a wall would be immoral.

Does that mean the border walls that already exist are also immoral?
    Why isn't she calling for them to be torn down? /rhetorical

To answer your question, I believe Trump will likely lose in the court of public opinion.

Also, I have a near cross country flight coming up in Feb.
    I hope it's sorted out by then.
  • I hope it ISNT.

I hope it goes on so long that all the furloughed workers find new jobs and we can just shut down 20% of the leviathan.
  • As long as it doesn't mean I have to wait 3 hrs for some douchebag to frisk me & x-ray my luggage, I'm good with that.
  • It didn't mean that before 2001, when airport security was municipal and private.  Unless a bureaucrat decide to make things worse in retaliation, I don't see why your wait should increase.
  • ATL airport has had significant delays due to TSA staffing problems. Many others seem to be humming along just fine.

One modern way of attacking cancerous tumors is by cutting off their bloodflow. 

This is an absolutely perfect metaphor for how to reduce the size of the federal government.

• edited January 18
    That was my concern, Dave.

(this would be flying into Houston - they've closed a terminal due to a TSA "sickout" )

& I'd prefer Air Traffic Controllers not be especially irritated 
  • edited January 18
    dgm said:

This is an absolutely perfect metaphor for how to reduce the size of the federal government.

I know you people will think I am posting this just because it makes me seem so cool, but your comment reminded me of this episode.
     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiosis_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
  • Symbiosis isn't exactly how I would characterize it. Feels quite parasitic to me.
  • OK, so you aren't a sci-fi geek.

One planet is wealthy, but not productive of anything but a "medicine".  The other is poor because it supports the wealthy planet in exchange for the medicine.  Space doc identifies the addiction of the poor to the "medicine", so the heroic and bald captain allows interruption of the supply of "medicine" until the poor people can finish going through withdrawl and no longer suffer the addiction.
  • Heh, no I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of STTNG episodes. 
  • 2.FOH. said:

(this would be flying into Houston - they've closed a terminal due to a TSA "sickout" )

Wanna meet up for a beer while you're in town?
  •  a Beer or three.

• I haven't flown since the shutdown started but know plenty of people that have and  they reported nothing unusual about going through ATL security.  Fake news.

In two weeks I not only fly out of ATL but I'm also driving over the Mexican border, I'll report back (hopefully) :)
  • We had a delegation from Cox cable come up to Philly last week, and they spent a VERY long time in line at ATL.
  • dgm said:

We had a delegation from Cox cable come up to Philly last week, and they spent a VERY long time in line at ATL.

#insider

Should I go buy some Cox stock? :) Are they even public?

When we flew out of IAH to DIA over Christmas, Precheck security was slower than regular. They only two out of four screeners working. I was pissed. There was also a shit ton of HPD wandering around armed to the teeth with body armor.
  • Speaking of... same in MSP around Thanksgiving, local cops standing around baggage claim with MP5s.
  • Cox is private. We aren't buying them or anything. We sell them a ton of services.
  • Hahaha
  • Do we suppose Trump even comprehends that he's losing to a grandmother yet? 
  • edited January 26
    Pelosi:

Our diversity is our strength.
    Our unity is our power.
    Our ignorance is knowledge.
    Our freedom is slavery.
    Our war is peace.
  • A more timely Pelosi quote: 

“[H]e’s already backed off of the cement – now he’s down to, I think, a beaded curtain or something, I’m not sure where he is...”