Who's allowed to shout what at whom and why?

When Joe Wilson shouted "You Lie!" at Obama, it was a Very Big Deal and Very Serious People took the issue Very Seriously.

Rashida Tlaib calls Trump a motherfucker, and it's "Yawn. No big deal."

“I probably have a generational reaction to it, but in any event, I’m not in the censorship business,” Pelosi said in an interview with MSNBC’s Joy Reid on Friday.

“The equity to be weighed is that’s freedom of speech of an individual member,” she continued. “As I said, generationally, that would not be language I would use. But, nonetheless, I don’t think we should make a big deal of it, I really don’t."

Comments

• Joe Wilson was likely correct in his assertion while the Michigan arab wasn't.

Extraordinary to me is the idea that a mother would express herself this way to her own son.
  • What, you believe her stupid story about telling her kid that?
  • I believe that she thought the idea that she speaks to her child that way is fine.
  • I believe you're right about that part. I don't for a second believe she actually had that interaction.
  • edited January 8
    I'm not sure which is worse.  On the one hand, something is wrong with a mother who speaks to her child that way.  On the other hand, lying to a crowd by telling them you did that because it would increase the esteem in which they hold you indicates a greater problem.

I understand that Nixon referred to Idi Amin as "that goddamned cannibal asshole".  I'm glad he didn't use that in a speech, but the candor in a closed room is good for a smile.  This woman's comment wasn't candor, but a bit of thought free emotion that revealed the idiom of the room.
  • dgm said:

What, you believe her stupid story about telling her kid that?

It’s like when Jan Schakowsky claimed to have that single payer conversation with a guy on the subway.

It makes me think; “Hey! You’re a politician! Shouldn’t you be a better liar?”
  • nbody said:

I'm not sure which is worse.  On the one hand, something is wrong with a mother who speaks to her child that way.  On the other hand, lying to a crowd by telling them you did that because it would increase their esteem in which they hold you indicates a greater problem.

The latter is worse, because it also says a lot about the audience, and just how terrible their ideas are
  • But this is a recent trope that's emerged from the left anyway... "Storytelling through fabricated dialogues with children" has become the vogue thing to do.
  • edited January 8
    Who cares?  One year ago today Net Neutrality was repealed.  All the predictions of worlds-shattering doom and the complete death of the internet are sure to happen any minute now.  I myself died as a direct result of that repeal almost 5 months to the day after it happened, so I'm no longer here to bemoan the loss of civility or to accuse Democrat politicians of being lying scaremongering cockweasels.

• Does Trump's own vulgarity invite Rashida's Leftist "Street" theater?  I haven't paid close enough attention to what Trump says to notice whether he uses vulgarity publicly.  If he doesn't, some kind of mild censure, just like Joe Wilson received would be appropriate.
  • Wilson shouting during a presidential address is not the same as what Tlaib did.  Wilson was worse.
  • edited January 8

Wilson shouting during a presidential address is not the same as what Tlaib did.  Wilson was worse.

Wilson’s comment was a breach on two counts.  While there is no prohibition on vocal
    approval or disapproval at the SOTU, it usually takes the form of cheering,
    booing or clapping rather than specific rebuttal.  While Wilson’s comment was arguably accurate,
    calling the material with which you take exception a lie lands outside ordinary
    formal political discourse.  Yes, BHO had
    just finished accusing his opponents of lying as well.

Recall that Alito responded to a false claim by BHO in a SOTU, saying "Not true".   BHO had a bad habit of casting disagreement as not part of any legitimate debate and accusing those who disagreed of deceit.  Wilson's response also failed to meet a high standard for civility, but the also is part of that story as well.

Tlaib’s comment was both factually false and reflected a
    cultural degradation.

• Wilson shouting during a presidential address is not the same as what Tlaib did.  Wilson was worse.

If they'd both been accurately criticizing the President or both been tossing out a plainly false slur, I'd agree.  But they weren't.
  • Qwinn said:

Who cares?  One year ago today Net Neutrality was repealed.  All the predictions of worlds-shattering doom and the complete death of the internet are sure to happen any minute now.  I myself died as a direct result of that repeal almost 5 months to the day after it happened, so I'm no longer here to bemoan the loss of civility or to accuse Democrat politicians of being lying scaremongering cockweasels.

Don't forget that we need to pass legislation to protect Rod Rosenstein from being fired.