Yup. 2019 is a good year to plant corn

Judge Reed O’Connor, a U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of Texas appointed by former President George W. Bush, ruled that Obamacare violated the Constitution.

Twenty Republican state attorneys general brought the suit, Texas v. Azar, who asked the court to rule that the Affordable Care Act (ACA) violates the Constitution after Republicans managed to zero out Obamacare’s individual mandate penalty with the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act last year. The judge ruled that the law’s individual mandate violates the Constitution and therefore the entire ACA violates the Constitution.

President Donald Trump tweeted trolled on Friday, “As I predicted all along, Obamacare has been struck down as an UNCONSTITUTIONAL disaster! Now Congress must pass a STRONG law that provides GREAT healthcare and protects pre-existing conditions. Mitch and Nancy, get it done!”

Comments

• I didn't catch that when Trump signed the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 that it was going to effectively repeal Obamacare, but it makes perfect sense.  When the tax/penalty for ignoring the individual mandate is reduced to zero, then the mandate can't be an exercise of Congresses taxing power, the only basis on which Roberts avoided striking it down as unconstitutional.

I guess that's another Trump campaign promise kept.

• It’s worth noting that the AG didn’t defend it, a decision that would have been made by the President.
  • MC Escher said:

President Donald Trump tweeted trolled on Friday, “ Now Congress must pass a STRONG law that provides GREAT healthcare and protects pre-existing conditions. Mitch and Nancy, get it done!”

*puke*  So, its another case of, yours sucks, but when I do it, it will be great.  A law that provides healthcare? :facepalm:
  • edited December 2018
    I wish someone could come up with a framework whereby the states can develop their own healthcare models (not the exchanges), but they wouldn’t be required to do so. I’d also be in favor of letting people deduct their healthcare costs (including any state taxes paid to fund state programs) from their federal tax burdens. The states can compete for both businesses and workers and employers can choose between operating in places where healthcare is provided by the state or not.
  • How many times do I need to tell you to stop listening to what he SAYS and pay attention to what he DOES before you internalize it?
  • I’m fine with this, however if we can’t force people to buy a product, we should not force companies to provide a product regardless of ability to pay. If a hospital chooses to deny service-regardless of need-they should be allowed to do so.
  • That's quite a modest proposal.