Notorious RBG on the way out?

Apparently she fell, broke 3 ribs and is currently hospitalized.

Which begs two questions:

1. Will this be what finally propels her to retire?

2. How long before Democrats accuse Kavanaugh of pushing her?

Comments

• Maybe she was drunk.

Does she like beer?
  • ZedZed
    edited November 8
    3 ribs?  Not hard to do when you're old & frail.  If she broke a hip I'd say she'd be well on the way out.  Hope she doesn't suffer much.
  • Indeed.

I'm stunned she's made it this far.
  • Zed said:

3 ribs?  Not hard to do when you're old & frail.

That's why we all want you to be careful.
  • nbody said:

Zed said:

3 ribs?  Not hard to do when you're old & frail.

That's why we all want you to be careful.
    ...said the voice of experience.
  • Burn

Burn
  • RBG is apparently retiring in January.
  • Link or source?
  • So with a Dem controlled House, what are we looking at w/re to her successor's nomination process?

-Moderate Nomination?
    -Federalist Society Conservative Nomination?
    -Hard core, far right nomination cannon fodder?
    -Something else?
  • Seabird said:

So with a Dem controlled House, what are we looking at w/re to her successor's nomination process?

-Moderate Nomination?
    -Federalist Society Conservative Nomination?
    -Hard core, far right nomination cannon fodder?
    -Something else?
    The House has as much to do with this process as you or I do.  As a member of the FedSoc, I would have a better shot at influencing the pick than a mere member of the House.
  • *smacks forehead*

Senate process only. Mea culpa.
  • I hear Matt Whitaker might be looking for something to do.
  • Amy Coney Barrett
  • MC Escher said:

Amy Coney Barrett

I suspect that this choice became a lot more likely after the Republicans held the Senate in part because of how badly Kavanaugh's hearing went for the Democrats.  Although another white guy would be fun, just to watch the "Diversity!" fanatics' heads explode. 
  • I’m especially fond of Barrett because she is what the Democrats like to call an orthodox Catholic.
  • That she's 46 is glorious.
  • dgm said:

That she's 46 is glorious.

She's a "suck it" gift card to democrats with "01/2059" for the expiration date.
  • Slap said:

...the Republicans held the Senate in part because of how badly Kavanaugh's hearing went for the Democrats...

Wow. Apart from the short-term "win," you think it went well for you?
  • MC Escher said:

I’m especially fond of Barrett because she is what the Democrats like to call an orthodox Catholic.

It's wonderfully ironic (and instructive!) that the people the GOP never wanted to let into the country initially are now practically the praetorian guard of its core values.
  • Your continued intentional and obvious misreading of other people’s posts is why everyone thinks you’re a Twatwaffle.
  • MC Escher said:

Your continued intentional and obvious misreading of other people’s posts is why everyone thinks you’re a Twatwaffle.

Everyone *here,* which is less data and more anecdote.
  • No, they think you’re a Twatwaffle elsewhere too.
  • edited November 15
    How exactly do you think Kavanaugh's hearings didn't go well for Republicans, short or long term?  The Republicans went into an election right after the Democrats revealed how poorly they wield power (sacrificing the presumption of innocence when politically convenient) and the Republicans get a fairly young Conservative judge on the Supreme Court.

Is this where you pretend that Kavanaugh's hearings went badly because the next time the Democrats have the votes in the Senate they're going to start Borking Conservative judges?
  • vwtool said:

...short-term "win," ...

I just have to scratch my head at that one.
  • MC Escher said:

Your continued intentional and obvious misreading of other people’s posts is why everyone thinks you’re a Twatwaffle.

You are the one who expressed a fondness for an "Orthodox Catholic." Are you as unaware of the history of Catholic discrimination in America as you are black history? The irony comes from the fact that abortion was initially criminalized to keep the Catholics from out-breeding good Protestant folk. Did you not know that either?
  • edited November 15
    Seabird said:

vwtool said:

...short-term "win," ...

Maybe a "tactical" victory explains the idea better. Tactical at the expense of long-term strategy.

Just don't pretend it's a "constitutional crisis" if you should wake one morning to find, say, 13 Supreme Courts justices. Your future self can thank Mitch for that. 
  • Seabird said:

vwtool said:

...short-term "win," ...

Slap said:

How exactly do you think Kavanaugh's hearings didn't go well for Republicans, short or long term? 

You two are making some assumptions about Tool's comment.

We've all been out somewhere and met a very pretty girl.  There is always another girl who deals with that by saying "Those are definitely implants" or "Sure she's conventionally pretty", as if being conventionally pretty is a trivial accomplishment they intentionally avoided.

Senate dems showed themselves to be petty, untrustworthy, clownish, rude and ideological in a way that made them look terribly ugly.  Tool is the girl who looks like a sewer plug and deals with it by noting that the relative beauty of this repub victory is fleeting because that beautiful girl will be old one day.

Of course it went well for repubs.  Everyone likes winning; that's why they call it "winning".