when do you turn your furnace on?

how low does it have to go for you?

Comments

• When I get cold...?
  • 63 inside the house
  • MC Escher said:

When I get cold...?

that could be when you step out of the shower...

• edited October 14
    Yesterday.  It was 65 in the house and only going to get to 50 outside.  I was fine but Mrs. Zuk had a blanket over her legs.
  • Personally, I like to set a baseline temp and individually heat specific areas directly.
  • When I start needing a sweater indoors.

The whole point of indoors is that it's supposed to be comfortable. If I wanted to be cold I would sleep in a tent. Outdoors.
  • I use an electric space heater to prevent shower humidity from condensing in my bathroom, and to help humidify the cooler air in the rest of my house, but generally I sleep better when its colder.  Cool air in the 50's with blankets or even an electric blanket when it get a little colder, makes for ideal/most restful sleeping.

During the day, I'm comfortable in a sweater or light jacket though most of Fall indoor or out.  One of the benefits of delaying turning on my furnace until it really does get cold, is keeping windows open.  My house is very dusty, lately with wood and kydex dust, so keeping air circulating seems to help, since vacuuming alone isn't really enough.  I don't like generating wood dust inside in the Winter, without ample ventilation.

I also feel like a dope, heating my house for 8 or 9 hours a day during the work week, while I'm sitting in an office downtown.
  • Turned it on today.

• Mine got down to 59 inside and I caved. I think as we get older we’re less tolerant? ha.
  • 59?!?!?

I'd be looking for a new partner if I let it get that cold in the house.
  • ...aaand the stinking pilot light keeps going out.

It did this last year for a spell, then fixed itself.

Probably needs a good cleaning.

59 eh Jennifer?

You smuggling peanuts or are you just happy to see me?
  • I like to keep the house between 72-74 during the day but drop it to 68 through the night.

Power and gas are cheap around here.
  • Failing pilot sounds like a thermocouple.
  • Probably right.

I was hoping I could nurse it back to health one more season.
  • Failing Pilot and ThermoCouple sound like the names of a Finnish band and a duo.
  • Sounds like an $85 service call charge, plus parts.
  • Or a $15 thermocouple and an hour of your time.

Wait a minute. Your furnace has a pilot??? HOW OLD IS IT?
  • Yes, I'll replace it myself....if needed.

Age? <shrug>

The house is from the early 50s
    It might be original.
  • Wow, that's actually terrifying. I hate pilot lights. My gas fireplace has one, but at least it's a modern device, at only 20 years old.

• I am confused because the notion of home heating down here is rarely discussed. My furnace is only about 10 years old and it has a pilot light. It's electric and automatic and goes on and off with the thermostat.
  • The pilot is automatic? Weird.

Even really old (~20-30 y/o) furnaces I've looked at recently have hot surface ignitors, rather than a pilot.
  • It's supposed to remain lit year round, but I noticed it was out.

I usually go through the safety precautions when lighting it....
    - make sure thermostat is off 
    - make sure knob is turned to "off"
    - Wait 10 minutes, make sure you don't smell gas.
    - Turn knob to "Pilot" push in & light a match over the coupler exit thingy
    - It lights, wait a few seconds, release.
    - Turn gas to "On"

If I'm tired/pissed/in a hurry, I skip the 10 minute waiting period.
    I usually just close my eyes, say a prayer & light the match.

• dgm said:

The pilot is automatic? Weird.

Even really old (~20-30 y/o) furnaces I've looked at recently have hot surface ignitors, rather than a pilot.

The last gas furnace I had in my house (Wisconsin) had a piezoelectric igniter.  When the T-stat called for heat the furnace would open the gas valve and spark to ignite it. Then there's a flame sensor, either optical or t-couple (or both) and if it doesn't see flame/heat it shuts the gas off again.  The one time I had issues with the furnace it was the flame sensor that went bad. The system was designed to fail safe.

Now I just have electric heat pumps.
  • dgmdgm
    edited October 16
    So, back when I was an EMT, I responded to a house explosion in my home town. The entire house was gone. Parts of it were still around, like bits of the roof, which were on other roofs nearby, and in the trees. Where the house was, there was a big hole and an even bigger fire. The fire was the size of a house. The siding on the adjacent houses was melted. Windows on adjacent properties were shattered. One family reported that their kids had been up later than usual watching TV with them downstairs, which was the only reason they weren't covered in lacerations from the window that blew inwards into the kids' room. It was pretty fucked up, overall. Not something I'll likely ever forget. 

The woman who lived in the missing house had been out to dinner with friends. When she came home, she went inside, heard an odd sound, grabbed the dog and a phone, and was walking out the door on the phone with 911 when the house blew up. She was a tough old bird. I think she was 80ish. She had some singed hair, a minor scalp laceration, and some bruising. Her dog was fine. I suspect she already had poor hearing, but being in the middle of an explosion sure didn't help it any.

On the ride to the hospital, where we basically just gave her oxygen and talked to her, I was questioning her about possible causes of the explosion. Did you have any contractors at the house? Did you have any problems with your stove or water heater? Did anything unusual happen at the house recently? No to all of the above.

What we later came to find out was that the gas company had been doing some pressure testing in the area. They had overpressurized the lines, and blown out pilot lights and apparently caused other damage. Her house filled with gas, and she's damn lucky the incident didn't take her life.

Do not fuck around with gas appliances. Fix that shit immediately.

• Do not fuck around with gas appliances. Fix that shit immediately.

I feel like you're trying to tell me something.

• Was I too subtle?
  • Fuel/Air explosions are ‘da bomb!
  • I called a furnace guy.

He'll be out tomorrow