Zee gogglez!!!!

I'll make this short since I can't see the screen very well.

I had PRK surgery on Friday. Tired of wearing glasses & I can only put contacts in for ~ 2-3 hrs before my eyes feel like they'll explode.
Was going to get Lasik but the Doc said I have a funky cornea & he didn't feel Lasik would be safe.

PRK is a bit more involved, & recovery is longer but the end result is the same.

Days 1 & 2 were actually really good. Vision at arms length distance (& just beyond) was perfect.
Anything beyond was blurry, but not too bad. Days 3 & 4 have been a blurry, itchy mess. Day 5 is supposed to show a big improvement.

The procedure is odd. He basically takes a mini dremel and sands off the outer layer of the cornea.
Then the laser does the reshaping (this part had an odd smell to it). The outer cells repair themselves over time.

I can actually go back to work tomorrow. Vision should be perfect after about 3 weeks, though I'll likely need reading glasses.

My sister is a nurse at the eye center so i got a nice discount for frugalier points (although, i know..glasses would probably be cheaper over the long hall)

So fa so good though.

Comments

• Let us know how your night vision is. I had Lasik about 8 years ago when I was in my late 30s. I still get a little halo'ing around lights at night, but it was really bad the first few months.
  • 2.FOH. said:

He basically takes a mini dremel and sands off the outer layer of the cornea.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

Nope.
  • Edited for Mark.
    nbody said:

2.FOH. said:

He basically takes a mini dremel and sands off the outer layer of the cornea.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

Nope.

• Ha! Thanks Matt.......I said THANKS MATT!!

Bird-will do.

Re: funky cornea. The cornea should basically be a smooth arc.

Mine was more or less a mountainous arc with peaks & valleys. The valleys were too thin to do the lasik flap thingy.
  • Heh. NOPE is exactly how I feel about elective eyeball surgery.

I know intellectually that the free market has made laser eye correction extremely safe, but the idea of a non-zero chance of going from "not great" vision to "blind" is horrifying.
  • edited September 17
    dgm said:

Heh. NOPE is exactly how I feel about elective eyeball surgery.

I know intellectually that the free market has made laser eye correction extremely safe, but the idea of a non-zero chance of going from "not great" vision to "blind" is horrifying.

It's true. They give you valium before the surgery to help with the anxiety. I was okay until (and they warn you about this), the doc placed an "eyeball holder" on each of my eyes to keep them from moving during the zap-zap-zap process. This device cuts off circulation and I lost sight for a few moments. It's hard not to freak out in that very short period of time because I was quite literally blind.
  • As long as I’m not driving into shit, I don’t need a laser to the eyeball.
  • I received no valium. Thought I would but didnt.
    Assholes.

It was interesting to read that PRK is what they give Airforce pilots. Lasik presents the problem of flap failure at high pressure.
    In fact, if you are a pilot, or athlete or anything really, exposed to high pressure, or impact, they dissuade you from lasik.

My nephew (pilot) had PRK.
  • Interesting... Did they still use the eyeball holder on you?
  • Yes, it held my eye open, like that thing on Malcom McDowell's eye.

The off eye was taped shut. Removing the tape hurt more than anything.

It was over in about 30 seconds.

The nurse held my hand. Not sure why.
    It was pretty uneventful.
  • 2.FOH. said:

The nurse held my hand. Not sure why.

Probably all the screaming.

This thread makes me love my glasses.
  • Back to work.

The commute was.......foggy

• That will clear up over the next week or two.
  • I could still see the gauges fine, so I knew when to shift & all that.
  • edited September 18
    Are you going full Roy Orbison at your desk?

Partner had a cateract out and is sporting a big pair of retirement goggles.

• Ha!, no.

I bought some cheap sunglasses on Amazon, but they didn't really help.

I have the lights dimmer than normal, & my monitors are down a bit too.

So far so good.