Seriously - What the FUCK Is My Problem?????

So this ended up in my driveway Saturday....

1986 Audi GT Coupe 5MT. It originally came with the 2.2L I-5, but one of the previous owners swapped that out for a 2.3L. It also has a Magnaflow catback exhaust, upgraded swaybars, lowered suspension, A/C delete, and a bunch of other shit done to it.

It also needs a bunch of stuff; I bought it as a project for me and Thing 3 to work on. But it made the trip from Indianapolis to Columbus without a hitch, so that's something I guess......

Comments

• Wow, I'm jealous.  Nice score!
  • I don’t understand ...

What’s the problem?
  • Cool car
  • As midlife crises go, it could have been much worse.

Hope you’re handy with metric wrenches, though.
  • Learn to swear in German, to really complete the look.
  • Seth, welcome to middle age.

I remember seeing those new when I had no car at all.  I wouldn't have been more excited if I had seen a Diablo.  I don't remember a number, but I know the new price was considerable.

Remember the fellow in his 50s you saw driving an old Corvette trying to capture a bit of his waning youth?

I write this as one of those retards who thinks GTIs are a great car because they were the thing to have when I was 17.  One thing I'll give you about that Audi - it looks better than a lot of cars you can buy now.
  • nbody said:

Seth, welcome to middle age.
    <giggle>
  • What, you couldn't find a short wheelbase UR? 

Psshhh..

J/K, nice find, Seth. I always liked those.

But it made the trip from Indianapolis to Columbus without a hitch

That's not bad at all.
  • Right now I'm lusting after things like Unimogs and M35s, to go with a vacation property in Alaska. :D

• edited August 13
    Seabird said:

As midlife crises go, it could have been much worse.

Hope you’re handy with metric wrenches, though.

All the cars in my driveway (none of which are American) are metric, so I'm good there. At some point what I'm really going to need is a lift. I think I'm going to get one of these this fall (the lift not the Porsche)....

• edited August 13
    nbody said:

Seth, welcome to middle age.

I remember seeing those new when I had no car at all.  I wouldn't have been more excited if I had seen a Diablo.  I don't remember a number, but I know the new price was considerable.
    When I was looking at first cars, it was between an Audi CGT and a Saab 900. The Saab ultimately won out, but I've always had a soft spot for the CGT. Although this one is by no means perfect, it's in good enough running order that I felt okay buying it. I also clearly have a thing for eccentric Euro cars.

A couple weeks ago Thing 3 helped me out when I was trying to track down what turned out to be a wheel bearing issue on the Saab. He helped jack up the car, unscrewed lug nuts, and wheeled tires/wheels around, and he had a blast doing it. I'm hoping is enthusiasm sticks around long enough for him and me to do at least a minimal restoration to the CGT, but then he's 9 years old so.....
  • What, you couldn't find a short wheelbase UR? 

Psshhh..

Sure . . . if you don't mind giving me the other $48,000 I'll happily go buy this one:

• 4nonymous said:

I'm hoping is enthusiasm sticks around long enough for him and me to do at least a minimal restoration to the CGT, but then he's 9 years old so.....

That would be perfect - and he's going to need a car in seven years anyway.
  • Nice.

Good to see the youngster showing interest in something other than a phone screen.

& that would be a very cool first car.
  • 4nonymous said:

(the lift not the Porsche).

You say that now, but who among us truly knows the future?
  • I've thought about those lifts before, let us know how much you like it.  People generally seem to like them.

How much does a car like that go for?  Is it as fun to drive as my childhood dreams want it to be?
  • I've thought about those lifts before, let us know how much you like it.  People generally seem to like them.

How much does a car like that go for?  Is it as fun to drive as my childhood dreams want it to be?

Back when the car was sold new I had a brother in law who ran a Porsche Audi store. My brother would go to work for him over Christmas and summer break when he was in college. He brought one of those home as a demo and kept saying it was the most fun car he'd ever driven. It wasn't as fast as the Porsches, but it was more fun.

Years later he bought an A5 S-line based on the memory of that old GT. He said it wasn't the same.
  • edited August 14

I paid $2K for it. I haven't seen a lot of them around. Those that I have seen have been in better condition, and the asking price has been commensurate. There was a super nice one in Syracuse a few months ago for around $7,000 or so. Low miles (in the 60's), and it had the digital dash IIRC. But at the time my budget was $3,000, and I ended up getting the SAAB for $2,500 and putting $500 into it.

And it's actually pretty fun to drive, even in its current condition. I reckon it'll be a blast once I get working on it.
  • Extracting $2k of fun shouldn't be that hard to do, great buy!

I bought a couple of 90's jet skis for $1k/ea a few years ago.  They ran well in the beginning but then became a basket of problems that I couldn't fix.  I had to remind myself that I definitely had at least $1k of fun on them but I was happy to see them go when I sold them at the beginning of this summer. 
  • Did I read correctly? They only weigh 2500 lbs?

The upgrade to the 2.3 is a good one then.
  • Here's what was done to the car by the second owner back in the early 1990s. I'd note that at the very least the cage, Momo racing wheel, and aluminium splash shield are not there at present....

Scarily enough, I have most if not all of the service records from that second owner forward.
  • edited August 14
    2.FOH. said:

Did I read correctly? They only weigh 2500 lbs?

The upgrade to the 2.3 is a good one then.
    Yep - 2,507 lbs. with the stock 2.2 from what I've seen.
  • The one thing I do find disappointing about these cars is that they're not actually hatchbacks, even though they're shaped like one.
  • It looks a lot like a B3 Passat.
  • edited August 14
    4nonymous said:

The one thing I do find disappointing about these cars is that they're not actually hatchbacks, even though they're shaped like one.

I did not know that.

I don't know what fits what or whether all VWAG five cylinders are swappable, but the VW 170-hp five cylinder may be my favorite engine of any I've driven.  That Golf was a little over 3000 pounds, and the engine pulled smoothly from absurdly low revolutions yet would redline if asked and was capable of an honest 40mpg, with the 2012 forward gearing for the five speed.

I know I could do not something like that swap.  Maybe you could.
  • Cripes, my Focus weighs 700+ lbs more.

What a fatty.
  • This where I point and laugh at seth for buying an audi that lacks AWD.

But... I have always liked the CGTs. Almost bought on a few times.

And yes, you have problems. You're in good company.
  • This where I point and laugh at seth for buying an audi that lacks AWD.

But... I have always liked the CGTs. Almost bought on a few times.

And yes, you have problems. You're in good company.

I considered this, but given that UR-Qs are generally going for over $40,000, I can live with a FWD CGT. Plus the Quattro system adds around 300lbs. That would put me nearly halfway to Mark's Focus.....
  • Audi Update for those not on FB....

Since bringing this bad boy home, I've
    • Had the rear sway bar driver's side attachment point cut out and spot welded (it had ripped out);
    • Installed the Thule roof rack and cargo box (truth be told I really want a cargo basket);
    • Removed the front seats and installed new guide rail clips;
    • Disassembled the passenger side dash and installed the glove box;
    • "Manufactured" (i.e. jury rigged) a tension bolt/washer to stabilize the antenna;
    • Removed, disassembled, and cleaned the front passenger side turn signal assembly;
    • Flushed and refilled the brake fluid;
    • Replaced the 16" racing wheels with 15" wheels and new tires; and
    • Did an oil change.
    The spot welding and the wheels/tires were a bit expensive. Everything else I did on my own for less than $100 total, I'm guessing....

• Mid-Life crisis...?