I, for one, welcome our digital Overlords.

ZedZed
edited May 8 in Everything and Nothing
https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/the-1-reason-why-you-should-fear-google-most-of-all-it-involves-a-word-that-might-be-new-to-you.html
It's because Google co-founder Larry Page apparently thinks that digital beings should be treated exactly like human beings.
In his book Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence, MIT professor Max Tegmark relates the story of a chat between Google co-founder Larry Page and Tesla CEO Elon Musk.

Musk, you see, is rather worried about robots becoming a little too big for their metallic breeches. He fears they'll dispose of intellectually inferior humans as soon as they serve no real use.

Page apparently wasn't having such a tawdry vision of our future overlords.

"At times, Larry accused Elon of being 'speciesist': treating certain life forms as inferior just because they were silicon-based rather than carbon-based," wrote Tegmark, as reported by the UK's Metro.

Larry [said] that digital life is the natural and desirable next step in the cosmic evolution and that if we let digital minds be free rather than try to stop or enslave them the outcome is almost certain to be good.

Comments

• I prefer to be more optimistic...

• It's all in the marketing.
  • Oh sure....so they're beautiful & will bring you a sandwich.........just before they crush your skull...

• Seems fair.  Must be time for lunch.
  • Yeesh.

• Great.....that's like the difference between fast zombies & slow zombies.

we're screwed.
  • 2.FOH. said:

Great.....that's like the difference between fast zombies & slow zombies.

we're screwed.
    The more I interact with technology the less likely I think it is that we will have a robot apocalypse.

• I didn't watch the entire thing.  Does it find John Connor?
  • It runs like a girl.
  • techno-homo-apocalyps-phobic, imo.
  • MC Escher said:

2.FOH. said:

Great.....that's like the difference between fast zombies & slow zombies.

we're screwed.
    The more I interact with technology the less likely I think it is that we will have a robot apocalypse.

The difference being that it will always get better over time and you'll only get worse.
  • Maybe if we make it human enough they'll start killing each other as well.
  • edited May 11
    Nobody who deals with supermarket checkout kiosks on a regular basis can possibly believe in A.I.

I barely believe in N.I. and THAT only because I exist.
  • edited June 5
    Sleep tight, y'all:

(I don't know why the video says that they're 18s. The beginning are 15s.
  • Just seeing the video above now, those are definitely F-18 in the video from beginning to end.  
    The humming scream of all those drones later in the video is eerily like a swarm of mosquitoes. (~2:24)

Anyway... here's the next iteration of Boston Dynamics robots.

• I ain’t buying it. The more advanced technology gets the more it sucks in daily use.

Skynet my ass...
  • edited October 13
    Zed - Yeah, after rewatching, you’re right. Don’t know how I mistook them.
  • ZedZed
    edited October 13
    MC Escher said:

The more advanced technology gets the more it sucks in daily use.

Yeah, let's build a robot that can drywall!

• Pfffff! I could get three MexiCANs for less than that one robot to do it in a quarter of the time, plus tape and float. All named Juan Henri.
  • All those people who said I danced like a robot were paying a compliment?