Shut down is over

Anyone disappointed by the brevity?

Given the weakness of their hand, I had hoped senate dems would dig in a bit.

Comments

• dgmdgm
    edited January 2018
    So disappoint.

I also hoped the Dems would make much bigger asses of themselves here.
  • I'm reading that dems extracted a promise from McConnell to hold a DACA vote within the next couple of weeks.  That's not much of a concession. 

It's an interesting lesson in how extra-legal executive power can metastisize into federal policy.  President Phoneandpen waves his hand over immigration law to neutralize.  When President Ultrarightwingracist declares a six month sunset on a federal failure to enforce law, advocates for the original extra-legal policy get federal court orders enjoining federal enforcement of immigration law as written.  Then dems decide to hold a sort of political strike over it.

• 2013 Chuck Schumer vs. 2018 Chuck Schumer made for some entertainment.

• nbody said:

Anyone disappointed by the brevity?

Given the weakness of their hand, I had hoped senate dems would dig in a bit.

Don't worry, it's not over.

Schumer is used to dealing with other politicians, not NYC Real Estate Sharks while Trump has had YEARS of dealing with jackasses like Beam, Koch, Dinkins and DiBlasio, not to mention two different Cuomos, Sharpton, Jackson and the NYC Council; with 50 members scattered over 5 boros AND the NY/NJ port authority as well as every other bureaucracy in NYC PLUS all the insane "liberals" in the city.

Those fools thought Trump had no political experience...

Democrat's biggest mistake on this shutdown...?

TIMING.

Two whole months until DACA was due to run out and two WEEKS before military personnel would have missed their first paycheck.

Not to mention that DACA is a throw-away problem.

All Congress has to do is offer Non-Citizen Permanent Residence with full access to SS & Medicare to the extent that they have paid into the system and even the DACA kids themselves will be jumping at the deal.