Race and gender bias at Google

"Googlers may have special coding skills or may fit seamlessly in
the company’s Googley culture, but it’s now plain that much of their
discourse represents a special kind of pettiness, stupidity, and
intolerance."

Comments

• I read about the first one third of the complaint. It blew me away just how shitty it must be to work there. 
  • You ever notice how people who make their living at Layers 1-4 tend to be conservative and people who make it at Layers 4-7 tend to be progressive?
  • edited January 2018
    MC Escher said:

You ever notice how people who make their living at Layers 1-4 tend to be conservative and people who make it at Layers 4-7 tend to be progressive?

I don't think that's true.  Google aside, I think something different happens.  The farther up the COC you go, the greater the consequence for dissent.  What I describe happens in engineering firms (Bechtel), law firms and government.

Large organizations have an abundance of written policies that are written specifically so that in the event of litigation, they can point to it and say "We aren't racist/sexist/age-ist and we prohibit that in our employment practices".  Of course, they can't deliver the written policy with a wink and tell people to wipe their rears with it, or else Old Betty who couldn't take a message well enough to keep her job would testify that management winked and told people to wipe their rears with it.  So, people are required to attend stalinist consciousness raising/indoctrination meetings in which people whose jobs involve dealing in dubious concepts seek out and destroy dissent in public conversation.

Young Betty might be happy to have Dave and Eric greet her with a big smile and "Good morning, Betty.  What that's sweater made of?", but Old Betty will report them to an HR gnome.  HR gnome has to be satisfied that his dubious concepts are being treated seriously, so someone at the top may pull Dave and Eric aside to say "I don't believe this BS either, but don't make it my problem.  HR gnome is a pita, but you won't win against him."

Dave and Eric aren't actually gelded women's studies majors, but now they act as if they are.  In time Dave and Eric, speak the language of chair persons and differently abled executive assistants.  They wear a mask to match the enforced orthodoxy that grew out of defensive personnel policies.

I don't see Damore as particularly conservative, but someone who posed his questions without a sufficient appreciation for the closed minded quality of other googlers.
  • OSI Layers, Matt.
  • Eric, I haven't found your observation to match my experiences.

Plenty of leftist fuckwits inhabit the server closets too.
  • MC Escher said:

OSI Layers, Matt.

I had to google that.
  • dgm said:

Eric, I haven't found your observation to match my experiences.

Plenty of leftist fuckwits inhabit the server closets too.
    But are they server guys or are they network guys?

Not looking to argue the point, just making sure we're on the same sheet of music.
  • What would you say the percentages run?
  • I couldn't begin to guess. And, I bet it varies by region too. Like in Philly, there's a shocking number of left-leaning tech people. Who work for very large tech & media companies. And argue in favor of net neutrality. WTF!
  • Cisco was the same way, though the conservatives had to be more quiet about their views.
  • Conservatives have to be quiet at Comcast too
  • Cisco was the same way, though the conservatives had to be more quiet about their views.

Get out of the back offices and go into the field sales offices, much different culture.
  • Politics is downstream from culture.
  • The water at this end of the stream tastes funny.