Weinstein Democratsm the NFL, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and Buttman

Something that occurred to me today while listening to two people debate the likelihood that any of these scandals or controversies will have a business impact.


I love movies. I love TV. I love to read and I love Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

I've known for YEARS just how far left so many of my favorite actors, directors, producers and authors are. As for Ben & Jerry... They are just flat out self-proclaimed hippies.

And for years I've never cared.


I was never really into football as a spectator so that's kind of outside my immediate purview but I did just recently buy some Giant's tickets for my Grand Nephew on the occasion of his Bar Mitzvah. I've also bought NFL related items of all kinds many times over the years because they make good gifts. Those tickets will in all likelihood be the LAST of the NFL items I buy for the rest of my life. And not because I'm going to die soon. If I need a football related gift in the future I will go to the college teams.

In the last year I have stopped watching several TV shows because I got tired of the insults.

There are movies I haven't gone to for the same reason. Hateful 8 is a good example...  I have seen many Tarantino movies over the years, but then Quentin opened his mouth and let the partisan stupid out. I don't even remember what he said, and I don't even care. I'm done with him.


There are many people who are saying that this Weinstein scandal wont matter because moviegoers and television viewers just don't care. And that's probably true for some people.

But I care. Not really about the scandals per se...

Oh sure, I agree rape is bad, but Hollywood has had a rape culture for generations and if they willing to tolerate it among themselves, I'm not going to worry about it affecting my life, because it doesn't.


You know what I DO care about?

A bunch of genuinely deplorable people who aren't satisfied to get rich making movies and writing books, but who need to take the time and make the effort to tell me what an asshole I am instead of shutting their fucking mouths and running off to Aspen to enjoy my money like they USED to.


So I think the Media Industrial Complex is going to take a real hit on, well... everything. Because they have been beating the crap out of the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg for a long time and that bitch is now on life support.


Ben & Jerry?
I haven't heard any trash talk out of them, just the usual hippie stuff. So they still have a place in my freezer.
«1

Comments

  • edited October 2017
    Blue Bell. I even scattered my dog's ashes into a flower bed at their factory. Just sayin...
  • B&J made the NRA's anti gun corporation list.
  • MC Escher said:

    ...I think the Media Industrial Complex is going to take a real hit on, well... everything.




    Their real problem is their obsession with blockbusters and franchises, not the occasional hurt feeling because Tarantino opened his mouth.

  • vwtool said:

    MC Escher said:

    ...I think the Media Industrial Complex is going to take a real hit on, well... everything.




    Their real problem is their obsession with blockbusters and franchises, not the occasional hurt feeling because Tarantino opened his mouth.


    I disagree. Their content is not the issue. People consume the content they want.

    Their problem is that people are tired of their shit.

    If I could offer them one piece of advice it would be; "Shut the fuck up and get back to work".
  • MC Escher said:




    I disagree. Their content is not the issue. People consume the content they want.

    Their problem is that people are tired of their shit.




    I agree that people consume the content they want, largely without reference to the shortcomings of the people producing the content. Yes, normal people roll their eyes when someone whose claim to authority is reading lines someone else wrote chides them for being fascists because they don't install third gender restrooms in their schools, yet have nothing to say about people they actually know who rape actresses with apparent regularity.

    People might think Roman Polansky is creepy, but they won't stop watching his films over it. People will tire or become used to vacuous tirades from hollywood, but they will get over it when trying to decide with friends on which film to attend.

    I'm guessing that football is much the same way. People may express disappointment at players not standing for the anthem, but they like football and the social aspects of it more than they are disappointed by player behavior.
  • I think football is a somewhat different animal for the same reason Broadway plays are...  They are LIVE.

    It's far easier to suspend the connection to reality and enjoy a Book, Movie or TV Show for what it is than to see live humans behaving obnoxiously in real life.
  • Hateful 8 was pretty good, not great but pretty good.  Ben and Jerry's loves abortions.
  • MC Escher said:

    ...Their content is not the issue. People consume the content they want....




    If they don't want the content, then "the content" seems the most likely suspect in the room.
  • edited November 2017
    Audiences boycott performers for their off-screen/ off-field/ off-court actions all the time. Though I'll acknowledge that instances of abuse garner more disgust than political vomit.
  • vwtool said:

    MC Escher said:

    ...Their content is not the issue. People consume the content they want....




    If they don't want the content, then "the content" seems the most likely suspect in the room.
    You believe that because you're a Marxist and as such are not used to distinguishing market forces from emotional reactions.
  • Seabird said:

    Audiences boycott performers for their off-screen/ off-field/ off-court actions all the time. Though I'll acknowledge that instances of abuse garner more disgust than political vomit.

    Indeed.
    Except when the political vomit starts to get personal.
  • Kevin Spacey & now Dustin Hoffman?

    They're coming out of the woodwork.
  • At this rate they might have to cancel all those awards shows.
  • MC Escher said:

    ...You believe that because you're a Marxist...




    Here I thought I was an American. One with a slightly different view about what's best for the country, but still.
  • I will mail you a check for $100 if you can tell me which logical fallacy you just used to rebut me.
  • Looks like they were grabbing hands full of ass at NPR too.


    Have you seen Teri Gross's ass though?
  • Ok, I'll play. I'll go with Appeal to Ridicule.
  • edited November 2017
    2.FOH. said:

    Looks like they were grabbing hands full of ass at NPR too.


    Have you seen Teri Gross's ass though?
    You are a bad man.  A very, very bad man.

    I'm sore-y I called you names.  We'll have to hug it out in drum circle.
  • vwtool said:

    Ok, I'll play. I'll go with Appeal to Ridicule.

    That would be the informal fallacy I have been using against YOU since your confession to being a Rat yesterday.

    No hundred dollars for YOU.

    BUT ...
    Thank you for being every bit as ignorant as to the laws of formal logic as I anticipated you would be. You have saved me $100.

    That was me doing the ridicule thing again, by the way.
  • MC Escher said:

    ...Thank you for being every bit as ignorant as to the laws of formal logic as I anticipated you would be....




    I don't think it's as clear-cut as you imagine it to be. Your argument, if that's what it is, seems based on nothing more than a hasty, arbitrary definition.
  • vwtool said:

    MC Escher said:

    ...Thank you for being every bit as ignorant as to the laws of formal logic as I anticipated you would be....




    I don't think it's as clear-cut as you imagine it to be. Your argument, if that's what it is, seems based on nothing more than a hasty, arbitrary definition.
    The irony of your response lies in the way that it so perfectly encapsulates your problem.


    You should perhaps see if anyone is willing to explain it to you.
  • You didn't actually make an argument, you just tossed a label at me. There can be no logical fallacy when no logic was attempted, but I played along anyway. 
  • vwtool said:

    You didn't actually make an argument, you just tossed a label at me. There can be no logical fallacy when no logic was attempted, but I played along anyway. 

    That was a different thread.
  • Bummer about Spacey, I really enjoy House of Cards.
  • edited November 2017

    Bummer about Spacey, I really enjoy House of Cards.




    imageimage
  • edited November 2017
    ...oh & that picture above with the mama's reminds me of Total Recall
  • I know you were going with a different reference from the movie but now all I can think about is three boobs.

    Thanks for that.
Sign In or Register to comment.