Anyone know who Gregory T. Bedell is? (was)

I'm doing his driveway next week.

Comments

• Wiki tells me he was the third episcopal bishop of Ohio.  May God be with you.
  • You re-grading his grave?
  • I wonder how he would feel about the current state of the Episcopalian Church. 

Is it a big house?
  • UGH! Don't get me started. You guys know I'm Episcopalian and have been basically disgusted with my church for years. And, I managed to land in the epicenter of a huge split between conservatives and more liberals. I've just never been able to split from the main church even though I'm conservative, as you all know. The Bishop that made the split here in Pittsburgh is a HUGE narcissist. He just wasn't the right guy to bet on. I hope to God this Bishop in Ohio is normal. We sure could use one in our messed up denomination.
  • Fucking Gene Robinson has destroyed our denomination, but Bishop Duncan was in it for himself. It all came down to a power play at Trinity Cathedral where we were members. Michael was actually on the "chapter" (like a vestry) that was barely able to block Bishop Duncan and his newly formed conservative faction from getting a hold of the property and so forth. It was a terrible time for us. We weren't able to stay at Trinity because it was such a war zone. Michael (and very rarely myself) now attend Calvary parish here in Pittsburgh. 
  • Here is an article that talks about it. Cathy Brall was running Trinity as Provost for 10 years. The new Bishop of Pittsburgh (a good guy) finally got rid of her because she just was spinning her wheels. Bishop brought in a Dean, but he's an asshat. 

Bishop Duncan (former Bishop of Diocese of Pittsburgh until JUST before we moved here and started going to Trinity downtown) put Cathy Brall in at Trinity as he did with so many other parishes. He thought all these people would go with him when he split. However, Cathy kept the Cathedral open for both sides and the cathedral hosted events and worship services for both sides. 

Bishop Price was brought in from Ohio and I will say he SAVED the cathedral and the diocese and kept it in the mainline denomination. And, that's what I wanted to see, again even though I'm very conservative myself. Had a private meeting with Bishop Price and he was very respectful and spoke the truth to me. 

I also had some balls on me and when the lousy Presiding Bishop Katherine Jefferts Schori came to Trinity for some reason or another and I had one shot at her when she was sitting in front of Michael and me during a talk in the sanctuary. I leaned forward and just asked her to save the diocese from Bishop Duncan. She's way too liberal too. We can't seem to get any balance in the denomination. Too conservative or too liberal. I just can't abandon my denomination, though. 
  • If I wasn't clear, both the house and the Bishop are 19th century artifacts.
  • MC Escher said:

... 19th century artifacts.

Had to read that twice to be sure it wasn't about me.
  • edited August 29
    Come on, Matt!

I had a comment qued up & everything.

If I wasn't clear, both the house and the Bishop are 19th century artifacts.
    Well at least he can't call & complain about your work.

• edited August 30
    Before I moved to Bratenahl, I was in the RC Bishop's place there after he died.  It was a stone house on 18 acres on the lake, and a RR Phantom IV was parked in front.  (No that wasn't a new car when I saw it, you bastards).  It wasn't a huge place,  but it was the sort of house that was made without a lot of concern for cost.

It was demolished to make room for a couple dozen nice but manageable houses.
  • demolished?  Seems a shame, or am I missing something?
  • edited August 30

demolished?  Seems a shame, or am I missing something?

So the land could be developed.  No one uses land on the lake like that any longer.

This is the back/lakeside of Helen Moss' house.

This is the street side.

She put ten of these in her front yard.

https://architizer.com/projects/breezy-bluff-development-blackstone-house/
  • nbody said:

No one uses land on the lake like that any longer.

Unless you're rich and can afford to not have neighbors on the lake.
  • Helen was very well off, but she was also mercenary.  She used to tell people that she supported her husband and he used to tell people he didn't have to sleep with her.
  • Very interesting.
  • And of course, the folks living in the Bishop's house stiffed me on the bill.
  • Tell them you'll sex sex marry them six ways from Sunday if they don't pay.

More seriously, are you still within the time for filing your mechanic's lien?
  • edited September 22
    nbody said:

Tell them you'll sex sex marry them six ways from Sunday if they don't pay.

More seriously, are you still within the time for filing your mechanic's lien?

Yes. Well within.

I have an e-mail in to my atty here to see what's involved as a practical matter, since reading the law only tells you how it's SUPPOSED to work.
  • I had some guys do stonework (flagstone/concrete/grout etc) at my place and was talking business with the owner. He mentioned how he had been stiffed and he took matters into his own hands by going to the property and physically dismantling the work that had been done. It went to court, and the court made him repair/replace the work. Not sure what the WHOLE story was, but he seemed pretty satisfied with his resolution even in light of the court's decision.
  • Ohio mechanic's lien law is poorly understood by most Ohio attorneys.  Reading the code on it makes sense, but it's one of those things that makes sense only if you already know how it works.  It's kind of like figuring out church holidays.

Your lawyer can sign the lien for you if you are up against your deadline.  Only you can sign the release.
  • I am thinking about just having him write a letter first.

They owe me $899 + whatever trivial interest.

I figure that if I offer to waive the interest and deduct $99 from the bill as a one time offer to expedite resolution, they may go for it. Especially if the letter reminds them that we have before & after pictures as well as a signed contract.

If that doesn't work I'll file the Lien and if it hasn't produced a result after a year, maybe I'll investigate selling the debt.

• If you had a direct contract with your owner, you can just sue, though I don't know if the local court will let you represent your own company in court.
  • ZedZed
    edited September 22
    What's the deal? Do they think you didn't provide the services satisfactorily, or that they aren't obliged to pay for some reason, or simply delinquent? Have they reached out to let you know why they haven't paid and what their plan is to resolve the situation?
  • Zed said:

I had some guys do stonework (flagstone/concrete/grout etc) at my place and was talking business with the owner. He mentioned how he had been stiffed and he took matters into his own hands by going to the property and physically dismantling the work that had been done. It went to court, and the court made him repair/replace the work. Not sure what the WHOLE story was, but he seemed pretty satisfied with his resolution even in light of the court's decision.

So, Eric should go back and dig a big hole in the middle of the part he made smooth?

I approve.
  • ZedZed
    edited September 22
    Dig?  I was thinking some type of high explosive ordnance lobbed from an appreciable distance.