Possibly the new hotness?...I guess, maybe...

The trusty old Cub Cadet 1042 has mostly given up the ghost. Repair estimate is well above what it's valued.
It's been a reliable mower & has been abused & asked to do more than it was designed for, most likely.

Replacement will either be:

or:

Product Image 1

Both get good reviews, but the Ariens offers similar features for less $$

-welded decks
-stout frames
-high back seats
-Kawasaki engines

Both dealerships are close by.

I will look forward to snicking through the gears...

Comments

• If you got a lawn tractor it could take other attachments.

Just sayin'.
  • Yeah, that's a good thought.

I do have access to larger versions of just about anything I would need to attach, though.

Bobcats, back hoes, snow plow...

I might get a cart to tow.
  • edited August 2
    Old hotness is best hotness:

- more square
    - surprisingly fast; like tie an old door to the hitch and drag your friends for fun fast
    - able to survive even the biggest idiot through ages 10-18

• You could get a BX80.

• I used to have that exact same snapper!
  • edited August 2
    My uncle got one of those swivel mower things. He said that it makes mowing his lawn a lot easier. I think my mower is better:

It even comes with attachments:

• LOL, you're terrible.

• Is that really your property?  What's that thing next to the shed?
  • Looks like it might be an evaporative cooler for an HVAC system.
  • My mower won't be deported in the coming weeks.
  • ZedZed
    edited August 2
    2.FOH. said:

My mower won't be deported in the coming weeks.

• edited August 2
    JIMP - Those are just generic images. If tried to take real pics of my lawn crew, they'd all run off screaming, "Deportacion! Deportacion!"

Mark - It would be soooooo hard to find replacements here in TX. :P
  • See? This is why we need a wall!
  • 2.FOH. said:

See? This is why we need a wall!

With Sharks with lasers!

• So I ended up getting the Hustler Raptor.
    The dealer is a 10 minute walk from my house.They were offering 0% financing.
    I went & checked out the Ariens & prices have actually gone up. The Hustler was
    only $200 bucks more. I told the Hustler dealer I was looking at Ariens & he was
    honest, saying "you know, they're both really good machines.

He threw in 2yrs free maintenance/blade sharpening. Plus I know his family, so..

It's a great little machine. Very maneuverable. 3hr mowing time was cut in half & 
    that was my 1st time using a zero turn. The "limited" comes with wider, more agressive tires.
    They say you shouldn't mow any slopes steeper than 15 degrees. I have a couple that measured
    16, but this thing went up & down them real easy .

Gaze upon it's sleek lines..

• Nice! Congrats, isn't it great to get stuff done faster and better than before?
  • It is indeed.

& it's actually kind of fun. I'm sure the novelty will wear off.

• 2.FOH. said:

It is indeed.

& it's actually kind of fun. I'm sure the novelty will wear off.

I've a client with a few acres to his yard.  He likes using his after a few years.  He used to use an actual tractor towing reels.

The only thing he doesn't like is the cut. His is a John Deere.

Nice mower.  I used my mower, a walk behind, yesterday.  Took a bit less than a half hour including moving the adirondack chairs.  Think about an electric.  Or a gravel yard.
  • I can help with that...
  • MC Escher said:

I can help with that...

The core problem is that I hate having a yard.  Worse, I have some enormous trees , roughly four times the highth of a two storey home, surrounded by ivy beds.  So, I can't just walk a square area and be done.  I hate trees.  I hate tree leaves.  I hate tree roots.  I fetch an axe a few weeks ago to chop down a much smaller tree that was touching the house.  I didn't realize how much leg strength is involved in working an axe and ended up walking funny for a few days.

I tried to talk Mrs. Zuk into pea gravel over the entire half acre yard at the previous place.  She wouldn't go for it.  If I had lots of spare money, I would:

-have all the the big trees taken down,
    -rip all the sprinkler plumbing and light wiring out of the front yard,
    -pave the while thing, and
    -give Slap my mower.
  • edited August 7
    Don't the trees help keep the house cooler in the summer?

That lowers your electric bill.

The mower helps destroy the ozone, too.
    That has to feel good as well, right?
  • You let the trees fill in until you have a sun blocking canopy, you plant myrtle all over the ground and then you ignore the leaves.
  • nbody said:

MC Escher said:

The core problem is that I hate having a yard.

Me too.  What's worse is that I think my grass knows I hate it and regularly commits suicide.  I've thought about moving to Arizona just to avoid having a lawn.
  • Ok, having used it twice, I really should've done this a while ago.

It's fast enough that I need to fill a couple holes/low spots so as not to go all Dukes of Hazzard...yeeeehawwww
  • 2.FOH. said:

They say you shouldn't mow any slopes steeper than 15 degrees. I have a couple that measured

16, but this thing went up & down them real easy
    living on the wild side
  • You know, 15 degrees is a LOT of slope. Like 28%.

That's a helluva fucking hill.
  • I should probably get a roll bar.
  • 2.FOH. said:

I should probably get a roll bar.

... and a seat belt, so you stay in the seat and not smooshed by the roll bar.
  • I'll weld a full cage