New laptops

ZedZed
edited April 20 in Everything and Nothing
So my mom has asked me to help her pick out a new laptop for her.  She's currently using an HP "all in one" (ie computer is in the display) with Windows 10.

She's not going to be gaming or graphics work, will primarily be used for office apps and web based activity.  Not traveling with it aside from around the house, so weight is not a big issue. Larger screens are better.  Budget $500-$700.

I personally dislike Win10, but she's already using it on her HP (not without much grief, I might add, since I am the "IT department"). 

So far I've found the following 2 candidates.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315779
15.6" Acer with 2.5GHz Core i5 7th Gen
8GB of DDR
256GB SSD
Webcam/Wifi/HDMI-out
USB 2.0,3.0 & 3.1 ports (4)
Win10 Home 64-bit
$499

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0S5529281
15.6" Lenovo with 2.3GHz Core i3
8GB
256GB SSD
DVD-RW
Webcam/Wifi/HDMI-out
USB2.0 & 3.0 ports (2)
Win10 Pro 64-bit
$499

Thoughts on these two?  Better options?

Comments

• edited April 20
    Unless she has a clear and specific need for the optical drive, I'd go without it. Needless weight and probably makes the body thicker. Does she need the Win Pro features?

Otherwise, these are all so commoditized, I don't think there's much difference between the well-known brands. There's not a lot of specialized proprietary tech anymore - especially at this price point. It's the really unknown low-cost Chinese brands that you want to avoid.
  • ZedZed
    edited April 20
    Thanks for the feedback.  I'm trying to get a straight answer out of her on the DVD drive.  She's got Win10 Home edition now, so Pro is not critical.

Somewhat surprisingly, the difference of weights & dimensions on these two are minimal.
    Acer Dimensions (W x D x H)
    15.02" x 10.20" x 0.94" - 1.19"
    Weight
    4.92 lbs.

Lenovo Dimensions (W x D x H)
    14.8" x 10.4" x 0.9"
    Weight
    5.07 lbs

What does Pro get you over Home edition anyway?
    I personally like more USB ports, but I have an external DVD drive too.
  • This isn't a comprehensive list of difference, but it's a start. There are other comparison matrices out there you can refer to. I tried to pull the one directly from MS, but their page wouldn't load for me for some reason.

Create and join a domain (work network)

No

Yes

BitLocker

No

Yes

Group policy management

No

Yes

Remote Desktop

No

Yes

Hyper-V (virtualisation)

No

Yes

Assigned Access

No

Yes

Enterprise Mode Internet Explorer

No

Yes

Windows Store for Business

No

Yes

Trusted Boot

No

Yes

Windows Update for Business

No

Yes

Max. supported RAM

128GB

2TB

• Let me back you up a bit.

First, what is the screen size on her current all-in-one?

If the laptop is going to represent a reduction in screen size of more than about half an inch she will probably be annoyed. Of course, if you're just going to pick up an inexpensive external monitor and keyboard that won't matter. I don't know if that's part of the plan.

I would also say that I have never in over 20 years seen an entry-level computer of any type yet had enough RAM. I always like to go for a faster chip and plenty of extra RAM because that will affect the user experience the most over the lifetime of the computer.

These days I would want at least an i5 Chip, preferably an i7; and 16 gig of RAM.
  • I've got 8GB on my work PC - Lenovo T440S and it runs like a champ.  I agree more RAM is always better but she should be fine as long as there isn't a bunch of bloatware.  May want to check to see if the RAM is expandable, a lot of times they max the entry level PCs.  Both options look solid and they are similar to what I hooked my wife and kids up with.  I'd probably go with the Lenovo.
  • JIMP,
    My thinking is twofold. First it's not a question of what she needs now it's a question of what she may need later. Second the type of user that she seems to be is exactly the type who is not going to pay a lot of attention to the computer and it will gradually start to use more ram overtime as patches and updates are done and a little bits of bloatware do find themselves into the system.

All of this is just a personal philosophy of how to select a computer when it's time to buy one and is not some sort of objective universal truth.
  • I entirely agree.  While its hypothetically possible to buy too much RAM, I've never had it happen.  Buying what seems like a little too much seems to always work out to be just enough in the long run.  Windows 13 will probably be a compulsory upgrade that uses 8G of RAM to load the splash screen.
  • What he said.
  • Have you considered moving to a Mac?  My parents moved to them a couple of years ago and it's worked out quite well.
  • Are there new ones available for $500-$700 that will never need tech support/help desk for the life of the product?
  • Cheaper to get an unlisted number.
  • ZedZed
    edited April 21
    She just sent me a link to this one she found at Costco.

https://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15-au123cl-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5.product.100314589.html

15.6" Touchscreen HP Pavilion with Intel i5 2.5GHz
    12GB RAM, 1TB SATA HDD
    Super Multi DVD drive
    The usual WIFI/BT, webcam, HDMI output, SD reader
    (2) USB 3.1 ports, and (1) USB 2.0 port.
    Win10 Home - 64 bit
    about the same dimensions as the ones above, but 1/2 pound lighter
    $499 for that.

• That's more than adequate, as long as the screen is large enough for her to see what she's working on.
  • Yeah, and she had "hands on" at the store.  I told her to make sure she likes the screen size and/or we can get an external 24" monitor for her for <$150