Well I just wasted an hour and a half on a quote that I know wont sell

I sometimes wonder if we should have a forum for whining and complaining...

So this guy calls me for a quote on building a driveway and starts out by saying he and the wife don't need a "Cadillac" driveway.

There's a bad sign right off. I have to explain to him that I won't build below a certain standard. He thought it was pride of worksmanship. FUCK pride... I wont have a shit job out there with my name on it. That's business 101.

So I ask him if he's GC'ing his own job, then have to explain the question to him, whereupon he tells me that his builder (a very big builder in the area - his words) is doing that.

Uhhh...
Not if you're shopping for a driveway he isn't.

I merely suggested he should get that clarified.

Also, he wants to go low budget, but he also wants a 400-450 foot long driveway when he doesn't need to. The wood line is already a little over 200 feet from the road, but he wants over 400 feet. So that doubles the cost of my quote AND now he has to clear full grown forest. I'll let him find out for himself what that costs.

I also inquire as to his budget. which is $10k.

Lawd Jesus hep me...

Just the STONE for the CONSTRUCTION driveway is going to eat up 2/3 of that budget and that's only if he's got some good solid materialto build on. If it's mushy dirt that needs quicklime mixed in to stabilize it and packed down with a heavy Padfoot roller (two grand a week) and he needs to go with a full foot of base material, that's somewhere north of $12k.

Unless he uses construction debris of course. Clean hard fill (no biological, chemical or nuclear contamination) is half the price, although it does have inconsistent density and leads to potholes.

My bid for him was in the mid 12's for a Light Residential driveway of about 13x480, to be laid in on TOP of a construction driveway, which even if he cheaps out is going to likely run the combined cost up to $20k, not counting land clearing.

And he budgeted $10k.

Because his wife wants nice kitchen cabinets.

Yeah, whatever.  I'll see you in a few years when you need the mess you put down fixed.

Comments

• MC Escher said:

I sometimes wonder if we should have a forum for whining and complaining...

http://www.npboards.com/categories/complain-about-zukiphile

Stupid people are horrible, but the fact that they need us makes them sort of necessary.

People didn't like the way I wrote at the 'pool, but sometimes one can't be subtle or he will be misunderstood.

I've said each of the following to clients:

"I understand your problem. You need to stop talking long enough to hear the answer."

"This is the part of our meeting in which you listen."

I understand that some contexts don't permit that level of candor. If you don't get the job, you'll just be out your time, and you won't have to suffer through more of this fellow's failure to grasp life.

In a way, it's a victory.
  • He wrote back thanking me for the quote and saying that he'll talk to his builder and try to get some things clarified.

I told him he was welcome and let him know that if he's the one hiring the tree clearer, the driveway builder and the home builder than HE'S the one GC'ing the job and he should know that.
  • AND now he has to clear full grown forest. I'll let him find out for himself what that costs.

I also inquire as to his budget. which is $10k.

I laughed.