Firefox problems

ZedZed
edited March 2015 in Help & Testing
I'm a regular user of FireFox. Recently it has started to not respond after using it for only a few minutes. Things I've noticed:
- This happens regardless of how many tabs I open
- This happens regardless of what other programs I have running simultaneously.
- I can shut the program down, but it remains running in the background, so I can NOT start another instance of the program.
- If I go to the task manager to end the process, it does not let me. IE: I can select it and hit the "End Process" button, but nothing happens
- I have to reboot the machine to kill it.
- When it locks up, other programs using the internet also cease responding (ie: if I open a Chrome window, it will not go to the sites I direct it to)
- In the task manager it shows that Firefox is using 250,000k plus of memory right off the bat. It usually hovers around 350,000k prior to crashing, but I have also seen to spike to 650,000k of memory.
- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing... no change
- I have tried disabling extensions & add-ons... no change

Any idea on what's going on? FWIW, I am running Win 7 Enterprise x64 bit with 8GB of RAM.

Comments

• Uninstall it and start over
  • ZedZed
    edited March 2015
    I did that. When to the control panel, uninstalled it, rebooted the machine, and re-installed it. No change. Anything special kind of uninstall procedures to follow?

PS: I'm using Chrome right now, but it intermittently won't let me post unless I toggle the "<>" (show source)  button in the post field.
  • Weird. I have no ideas, and don't use Firefox, except under duress.
  • PS: I just uninstalled, ran CCleaner, including registry cleaner, rebooted, and re-installed... and the clock is running.
  • As in ”update your Adobe Flash"?
    I'll check that out.
  • I have Flash disabled now, we'll see what happens now.

Not sure if it is unrelated, but a number of icons on this site are now showing as small boxes with 4 characters in a 2x2 matrix.
  • Zed said:

As in ”update your Adobe Flash"?
    I'll check that out.

As in Flash sux and crashes stuff.