Comments

• Looks expensive.
  • edited February 2015
    It was.   About $20K.
  • Looks NEW
  • It is. It's so new they're still building it. They still have to install the spare tire hoist that goes under the neck deck.
  • If it's new did you request the pinstripe under the platform in the third pic?

Also, it looks cold there... but at least the sun appears to be out.
  • Man, MC!  You get all the cool toys!

• So, do you have modify you truck with a gooseneck hitch?
  • edited March 2015
    Zed said:

So, do you have modify you truck with a gooseneck hitch?

I think he just pulls it with a yolk. {..er yoke}
  • Sounds messy
  • I should have had spell check set to "farm".
  • We need a rimshot sound effect.
  • Zed said:

So, do you have modify you truck with a gooseneck hitch?

The truck had a B&W Gooseneck already installed when I bought it.
  • edited March 2015
    Jezebel said:

Man, MC!  You get all the cool toys!

Believe it or not, none of this was done with the idea of a toy in mind. And I say that even though I could have had a basic model tilt for $7,200.

First, I got a tilt because one of the big challenges with loading and unloading is the rear landing gear or the ramps. You have to find a really flat surface to make it work and if you can't you actually have to jack up the rear end on one side or the other, sometimes both, to make it work. And the make it work part? That involves wood blocks that you have to stack to lift it up, and sometimes actual jack stands. All of which has to be done in reverse when it's time to leave.

It's a huge time consumer and is physically exhausting, especially in the hot summer.

With a tilt deck you just tilt it up. If the ramp is on grass you just goose it a bit to sink into the ground slightly so the ramp is even across the edge. If you're on pavement you just slip a plain pine 2x6 under under the edge, which is soft enough to sink into.

I had it set up with remote control so that I don't have to fuck around with cable attached remotes or getting on and off the equipment several times. I just climb up onto the deck, get in the drivers seat, tilt it up and drive off. When I get back on I just drive it up, lower the bed and climb down.

It has a winch so I can self recover a broken piece of equipment without having to call for a $500 recovery truck.

It has hydraulic jacks because raising and lowering 7 to 9 tons of trailer and load is HARD. And takes time. I need at LEAST 15 minutes to hook up my Yellow trailer and pull out, and that's if I line up the hitch on the first or second try. I can cut that down to less than 5 with this new setup.

The Neck Deck is load carrying so that I can shift my load back and forth on the deck by placing my bucket up top. The trailer is only rated at 7 tons of GVW On the trailer axles, but I can shift weight to the rear axle of the truck and carry a theoretical overload.

Speaking of which, I upgraded from the stock axles with drum brakes to 8,000# Dexter axles with Electric/Hydraulic DISC brakes for greater safety and lower maintenance costs. MUCH lower.

I also spec'd out the 16" wheels with 14 Ply "G" rated tires that will carry 4080 pounds each and I ordered TWO spares, since a blowout usually happens when you run over something you didn't see and that often takes out BOTH tires on that side.

Speaking of tires, if I need to change one or more I can use the hydraulic forward landing gear (jacks) and the tilt bed itself to raise all four tires completely off the ground.

Oh and instead of the two hydraulic Rams that come stock, I went with a single ram scissor lift. Why? Because when you have two Rams and one loses pressure the entire trailer, equipment and all, can fall over on its side. With a scissor assembly and a large single ram a catastrophic loss of pressure just drops you into the cradle and it does it gently because gravity still has to force all the hydraulic fluid
    out small orifice.

The hydraulic system for the deck and the jacks are completely separate from each other and each has its own battery with a solar charging panel as a backup for the normal charging that happens through the harness. The 12,000 pound winch also gets its own battery and backup solar charging.

It's also set up with several options that make rigging very flexible and versatile.

There are a lot of little things too, such as the Bulldog coupler in the gooseneck downtube, which is the safest on the market. Side note, the B&W gooseneck hitch can be converted to a 5th wheel and back with just a lever and a pin.

Cold weather wiring harness, extra lighting, all sorts of things.

Basically, it's set up to be as safe as possible with the fastest hookups and load/unload times that you can get. This is my mainline trailer, it can haul all my equipment and let's me maximize capacity in a non-CDL system.

I even went with a $300 DirecLink brake controller that interfaces directly with the tow vehicle's computer through the OBDII port and supplies braking force based on all the same measurements that the truck's computer uses for its own brakes.

The $400 white powdercoat was strictly for looks.