Reporting charitable activities

edited March 2014 in Religion & Philosophy
I have a question about the morality and etiquette of reporting one’s own charitable conduct, but would like to first provide context for the question.

We had some neighbors over for a dinner party, very nice people with lovely, well behaved children. They attend the big Presbyterian church in our town, which, if I understood them correctly, is a conservative offshoot of the PCUSA, the sort of Presbyterian with which I am familiar, who are very interested in same-sex marriage and recycling.

They report a lot of traffic between Presbyterian churches of that sort and Baptist populations. The wife attended Cedarville, and another woman we know in that big Presbyterian church is also from the South and I would pick her as originally Baptist or Methodist.

A couple of months ago the husband shaved his head, so I inquired about whether this was illness related. He noted that he did it to raise money for the United Way. These are very gentle and kind people, so this question is not about a breach of etiquette.

Instead, I note that in my professional culture one is expected to have a list of charitable causes he can recite when queried about his interests.

My practice is to conceal the act of having assisted someone based on the reasoning that a failure to conceal introduces a motivation which is not itself charitable.

On the other hand, people do learn about activities from exposure, socialization and mimicry, so letting people know that these sorts of acts are (and therefore should be) routine has a general, social and educational value.

Your thoughts on whether concealment is "doing it wrong" are requested.