Bluetooth Connectivity with Win7

ZedZed
edited November 2013 in Help & Testing

Comments

• edited November 2013
  • ZedZed
    edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    Depending on the brand of laptop (HP?), you might have to find a utility application beyond just the driver to establish the data stream.

Bear in mind that you're bypassing the security protocols on your internal network and *probably* violating company policy. No skin off my nose, but it's something to consider if you care about such things. :P
  • edited November 2013
  • You guys need my help with this, or do you have it covered?
  • What's a battle?
  • Zed, I had the exact same problem on the company laptop that I had last year.

I did eventually manage to get it to work but that was only after quite a bit of googling and trying different things. I honestly don't remember what I did.

The thing is, I was trying to stream Internet radio from my laptop, over the company network into a set of Bluetooth headphones.

What you're trying to do is slightly different in that you're trying to stream through a non-company device that's not protected by the company's security into a laptop that's behind your company's firewall. That is, if I understood your situation correctly.

So it's not just a matter of convenience, which arguably should be enough. It's also a matter of security. Anything you stream through your handheld device and then output to your computer via an audio cable is not something that's going to infect your company's computer.

Also, it won't be dependent on that single device. Nomatter what computer you have, no matter what the situation is, the device allows you to pair your phone with the device and then after that pairing, send the data stream to whatever device you wish as an AUDIO input. That could be speakers, that can be a computer it doesn't matter and your company doesn't have to worry about malware.
  • No, he's not talking about "tethering" at all. He's talking about using a BT Audio profile. They are different things.
  • His previous one was an XP box I think. This one is Win7

And I do not accept that Bluetooth is not an infection vector.
  • ZedZed
    edited November 2013
  • ZedZed
    edited November 2013
  • No DG...

Not in a fantasy universe, in this one.

While most BT hacks are directed at information gathering using tools like BTcrack, Bluetooth is vulnerable to buffer overflows and the running of arbitrary code.

None of this is secret, BTW...

BT vulnerabilities have been openly discussed at Hacker conferences for at LEAST six or seven years now.