Bluetooth Connectivity with Win7

ZedZed
edited November 2013 in Help & Testing
Does anyone here stream media from phone to PC over BT?   On my old laptop (XP) I could pair my phone to my laptop and run Pandora on my phone and have it piped to my desktop speakers via my laptop. 

Now with Win7, I can pair my phone to the laptop, but it will not connect.

When I pair the phone & laptop it installs device drivers six times for "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" but unsuccessfully.  I have searched for solutions online and found a recommended process where you install Microsoft "Windows Mobile Device Center" for Vista and manually install drivers. This has allegedly worked for many users.

I have done this process several times already, but no success so far.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr-maxx-hd/271263-bluetooth-windows-7-problem.html
The phone is a Motorola Razr HD Maxx and laptop is HP 9470m.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Why not just run Pandora directly from the computer? I BT between my laptop and phone all the time, but for data tethering.
  • ZedZed
    edited November 2013
    Seabird said:

Why not just run Pandora directly from the computer? I BT between my laptop and phone all the time, but for data tethering.

Because any sort of media streaming is blocked on our network.  I'd be running it Pandora on my phone data plan instead of the inhouse network.  I can also just run my mp3/wma files via BT too incase I don't have data to spare.

I've downloaded some Broadcom drivers (manufacturer of BT radio) as well as an HP service pack for their BT radios (should be the same in theory).  However when I run either driver install package it says that I must turn on my BT device.  I've gone into service.msc and the BT is already running, and I have managed to pair my phone to the computer... so I know that BT is on and at a bare minimum sees the the phone, it just isn't communicating.
  • edited November 2013
    Depending on the brand of laptop (HP?), you might have to find a utility application beyond just the driver to establish the data stream.

Bear in mind that you're bypassing the security protocols on your internal network and *probably* violating company policy. No skin off my nose, but it's something to consider if you care about such things. :P
  • Your computer doesn't have software on it that gives it the Bluetooth A2DP client profile. That profile is what BT stereo speakers and headphones have that lets you stream music to them.

Get a set of BT speakers like MC suggested.
  • Hey, don't get me wrong I love electronic gadgets as much as the next guy, but why the hell should I have to purchase widgets & dongles to do something that basic? Am I out of line in my expectations that a newer computer should at least have the same functionality of its predecessor?  Especially when it has the hardware on board to perform the same functions?
  • You guys need my help with this, or do you have it covered?
  • What's a battle?
  • Zed said:

Hey, don't get me wrong I love electronic gadgets as much as the next guy, but why the hell should I have to purchase widgets & dongles to do something that basic? Am I out of line in my expectations that a newer computer should at least have the same functionality of its predecessor?  Especially when it has the hardware on board to perform the same functions?

As Dave and I mentioned, it's just software that needs to be installed. The hardware is all technically there. It's a question of whether or not your IT staff will provide you with that software, but again, it opens your PC up to an unfiltered connection to the Internet and they might tell you to fuck off.
  • Zed, I had the exact same problem on the company laptop that I had last year.

I did eventually manage to get it to work but that was only after quite a bit of googling and trying different things. I honestly don't remember what I did.

The thing is, I was trying to stream Internet radio from my laptop, over the company network into a set of Bluetooth headphones.

What you're trying to do is slightly different in that you're trying to stream through a non-company device that's not protected by the company's security into a laptop that's behind your company's firewall. That is, if I understood your situation correctly.

So it's not just a matter of convenience, which arguably should be enough. It's also a matter of security. Anything you stream through your handheld device and then output to your computer via an audio cable is not something that's going to infect your company's computer.

Also, it won't be dependent on that single device. Nomatter what computer you have, no matter what the situation is, the device allows you to pair your phone with the device and then after that pairing, send the data stream to whatever device you wish as an AUDIO input. That could be speakers, that can be a computer it doesn't matter and your company doesn't have to worry about malware.
  • Dave - I know that it's not what he asked about, but I thought it was worth mentioning. He's talking about tethering his laptop while on prem to an open Internet device. This is a big no-no in a lot of publicly traded companies. They design (or should design) policies and implement measures to prevent that sort of thing.

For instance, Websense has an application that can install on company-provided machines which will reflect the same filtering policies as the company gateway, thereby preventing the very same types of browsing on those company machines while off prem. Those policies can also be implemented by an MDM solution on handheld mobile devices.

So while Zed's questions are "Can" and "How", I also raise the question of "Should".
  • No, he's not talking about "tethering" at all. He's talking about using a BT Audio profile. They are different things.
  • Yep, yep... You're right. I got hung up on the tethering option. Sorry. *banghead*
  • dgm said:

This isn't about connecting his company computer to an unsecured network.

It kinda is.

I don't want to get hung up on the details, but it taking his post at face value, the reason he can stream directly onto the laptop is because of company policy.

The motivation for the policy, or the specific details of it doesn't matter.

If he wants to listen to streaming music he can't bring it in through the company network. period.

That's WHY he wants to pull it in via HIS access internet connection, which happens to be his cellphone.

The PROBLEM is that he cannot then get it to his laptop.

That's why I suggested one of those devices, which is also less of a hassle, since he only has to pair with the DEVICE and then connect it to any number of other destinations for audio output with an ordinary audio cable.

It is unclear to me whether he owns his laptop or his company does.

If HE owns it, then this is mainly a convenience issue. If the company owns it, this eliminates an infection vector. Frankly, it does the same if it's his personal laptop too, but he may not care.
  • It so happens that his current computer doesn't support the right BT Audio profile. His previous one did.

There is no infection vector via bluetooth audio streaming.
  • His previous one was an XP box I think. This one is Win7

And I do not accept that Bluetooth is not an infection vector.
  • ZedZed
    edited November 2013
    There has been no communicated change in policy regarding usage of company assets in the years that I've been with the company. The laptop is a company asset. We are permitted to use the company assets for occasional personal purposes up to the point that it interferes with company business.  The primary issue (I believe) with streaming media is bandwidth usage followed by the likelihood of inappropriate materials that may expose the company to liability to lawsuits. I am able to play media (mp3/wma) via a USB tether cable as well as transfer any other files to/from my phone to the laptop without issue.  Connecting to the laptop to the phone via BT is the technical issue here. I can pair the two devices, but once they are paired, they will not connect.  I have tried using another BT phone, and it suffers the same problem... can pair, but not connect.

Old laptop was an HP with XP Pro, and new laptop is an HP with Win 7.
  • Accept it or don't. In some fantasy universe, maybe someone could hack the media player on a windows machine to act as in collusion with the BT audio output software on some other device, whereby a particular sequence of audio bytes could be turned into a malicious payload that would be executed on the target device.

That would require a compromised bluetooth driver and/or compromised audio driver on the target device, as well as a piece of malware on Zed's phone, that would know how to act in concert with the compromised drivers on his desktop.

The practical reality is that nobody is doing that. It might be an interesting theoretical exercise, but it's silly, and from what Zed has posted, isn't anything his company is concerned about.

• ZedZed
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, the biggest IT problems/concerns we appear to have are: unlicensed software, spam, stolen hardware and people who "Reply All".
  • No doubt.

Anyway, I posted a bunch of shit earlier in the thread that might help you get the right drivers on your machine.
  • No DG...

Not in a fantasy universe, in this one.

While most BT hacks are directed at information gathering using tools like BTcrack, Bluetooth is vulnerable to buffer overflows and the running of arbitrary code.

None of this is secret, BTW...

BT vulnerabilities have been openly discussed at Hacker conferences for at LEAST six or seven years now.
  • MC Escher said:

Any of the following devices may provide a solution for you:

HomeSpot NFC-enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System

I ended up ordering one of these a little while back, and its a really nice simple solution.  I haven't had a chance to run any range tests yet though, but so far so good with both BT pairing and NFC pairing.