What is "safe" and "secure" to you?

ZedZed
edited September 2013 in Religion & Philosophy
What makes you feel 'safe' or gives you a sense of 'security'.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I'm not sure I ever feel that way, per se, unless you count just simply being conscious.  

On the other hand, being warm and dry with no one shooting at me probably comes as close as anything.  

Makes me happy, anyway.

One could turn your question around and ask "What makes you feel unsafe or gives you a sense of insecurity?"

My answer would be a bit more complicated here.  I observe my environment, assess it in terms of the potential threat it offers and adapt to that.  A high threat environment is one that I leave as quickly and unobtrusively as possible, Mr. Zimmerman's experience after having to exercise his right to self defense is one I'd prefer to avoid.  I used to enjoy the prospect of dealing with whatever would come, but that was because I was single and didn't really give a rancid rodent's rear what the outcome was (I was also cocky and arrogant about my ability to deal with just about anything.)

Being older now, and married has somehow awakened a sense of responsibility that, thankfully, I was spared for a wonderful time in the late 60's and early 70's.  The fact that my wife would have a very rough time of it if I suddenly called in dead as a result of misadventure I could have easily avoided by leaving a high-threat environment motivates me to do just that.  I don't feel unsafe or un-/in-secure, I feel alert and responsible.

My wife will tell you that I'm not a difficult guy to please.  Warm, dry and no one shooting at me, good stuff!
  • ZedZed
    edited September 2013
    How can you help a person that feels a profound sense of doom & gloom or feels "unsafe".

I personally plan & train to what I feel is a reasonable level and
    have a profound understanding that I can't control everything, that I
    need to do the best I can with the decisions I make, but stuff happens.

With the things that are going down in the world, or at least the things
    being reported... I think there's a temptation to stick one's head in
    the sand to just tune it out. I think we have to do that to some extent to prevent from being overwhelmed, and to control what we take in mentally.

It's pretty hard not to be discouraged these days with crap like this going on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mans-home.html
  • I feel safest and most secure when I'm far away from lots of people. The wilderness offers various forms of risk and threats, but they are manageable with the right skills and tools.
  • I saw that and was scared for my 83 year old mother who is almost stone deaf and lives alone. That rapist is one of the nastiest looking guys I could imagine, not that being attractive would help. When Obama was re-elected I was pretty shaken.  I just couldn't believe this country did it TWICE, and I knew something worse would befall us in the second go-round.
  • "93 year old woman raped by young black thug."

THANKS, Obama!!
  • edited September 2013
    dgm said:

"93 year old woman raped by young black thug."

THANKS, Obama!!

That wasn't Obama.

That was President "I'll have those niggers voting democrat for 200 years" Johnson and his "Great Society" which managed to do to Black America in 40 years what slavery couldn't do in 400.
  • Of course it wasn't. I was responding to this:

"When Obama was re-elected I was pretty shaken. I just couldn't believe this country did it TWICE, and I knew something worse would befall us in the second go-round. "

Which in the context of this thread, could be viewed as blaming Obama for what this piece of shit did.
  • edited September 2013
    I'm not 100% convinced they DID do it twice.

There were too many irregularities in key states for me to be comfortable with the idea that this was just about dumbasses voting.
  • 1 - Paying attention. This includes keeping honest about what you observe, particularly not bullshitting yourself, or pretending not to see or notice things you might not want to recognize - whether in others or yourself.

2 - Maintaining the will to act. Because the former is useless otherwise.

...being warm and dry with no one shooting at me probably comes as close as anything.

This is always nice.

...when I'm far away from lots of people.

As is this, but neither are necessarily always something we can control.

How can you help a person that feels a profound sense of doom & gloom or feels "unsafe".

Try and convince them to do something productive, preferably something that will help them with taking control over their own situation.

I've had pretty unfortunate experiences with someone I was close to who felt that way. They ended up pursuing the illusion of security offered by chaining themselves to a master manipulator - the kind of person who assuages their own insecurities and lack of control over, or honesty with, themselves by seeking control and influence over the perceptions of others. It ain't pretty. People like that are basically psychological vampires, and they take a heavy toll on their chosen "beneficiary". But learning confidence (especially confidence in our own ability to think and perceive things clearly, see point number one above) and how to take control of our situations is like holy water and garlic and sterling silver Jesuses to the fuckers.

Which all relates rather neatly to:
    ...managed to do to Black America in 40 years what slavery couldn't do in 400.

• I can't tell. What forum is this topic in?
  • I can't tell. What forum is this topic in?

Religion & Myths.

• Safe and secure, for me, come from balancing the faith and the brain God gave me.
  • After I got married I became a worrier. After Obama was elected, I bought firearms.
  • What is safe and secure to me.....

Whatever President Obama says is right for me.  He says I'm likely to hurt myself if I have a gun.  

JIMP....that brain isn't necessary in the brave new world.  God is passe....it's government now.
  • It takes a village...to raise an idiot.