Chuck Woolery on Assault Rifles

edited December 2012 in Humor, Fun & Games

Comments

• Personally, I love the message, but shake my head at the messenger.

I am 100%... no, make that 200% in agreement with the right on this and the belief that the left has their collective heads up their forth point of contact.

But,

The effectiveness of the message is lost immediately by the tone of the messenger.  Any message that starts off with the condescending tone that attacks the other side as being morons (regardless of the issue, the parties involved, or the truth of the attack) is going to have the target audience tune out.  

It plays well in Peoria, but that's it.  People who need to hear the message, (as opposed to those who already sing in the choir) will not as they have already tuned it out.

If this (or any) message had been delivered in a politically neutral manner, I believe it would have a good chance of swaying the target audience, but unfortunately for those of us who agree with him, this one will not.

This has been a problem for the Republican party ever since it drove me away in the '50s for that very reason.  As much as I love a good flame war, trying to persuade someone is difficult enough when there is not mass media campaign supporting the other side.  

Reason and comity are the tools need for that task, sarcasm, scorn for your opponent, denigration and arrogance are the tools for loosing when the task is persuasion.

And that's the mission today.  My opinion, FWIW, is that this turns off the target audience and is thus a net loss.
  • He's got a ton of one minute commercials about stupid laws in states, immigration, economic issues, foreign policy matters and so on. His schtick is the sarcastic tone.
  • He's got a ton of one minute commercials about stupid laws in states, immigration, economic issues, foreign policy matters and so on. His schtick is the sarcastic tone.
    Hi Laura, I understand, but I think you miss my point.  It only plays to the choir.  The target audience SHOULD be the unconverted but open minded.  As it is, this only appears to those who already agree with him and that makes this nothing but a self-aggrandizing waste of air.  IMO, of course.