Who do you refuse to do business with?

edited November 2010 in Religion & Philosophy
Citgo
Progressive Insurance
Ben & Jerry's
FexEx -the service here in Pinellas County sucks.
Now Amazon. They're hosting WikiLeaks.

What is on your "no" list?

Comments

• Curious about Ben & Jerry's...

I dropped Amazon when they started selling the pedophile how-to book.
  • Anything built by the UAW.
  • edited November 2010
    Heh... The Citgo thing still alternately amuses and frustrates me.

I refuse to shop at Walmart. I don't have an ideological problem with them. I just think their stores suck and I avoid them when I can.
  • Ben & Jerry's contributes to anti-gun causes.
  • You could really get exhausted trying to avoid doing business with everyone with whom you disagree politically:

Consider this *single issue* list:
    http://gunowners.org/fs0302.htm

It's long. Try to avoid consuming anything that in any way benefits those people. Good luck.

If I'm to believe that list, I can't buy Levis, Ben & Jerry's, Kenneth Cole shoes, Hallmark Cards, anything produced by A&M Records, Sara Lee baked goods, Sprint, Stonyfield Farms yogurt, Time Warner Cable. I can't watch any shows on ABC, NBC, CBS, read USA Today (who the fuck wants to anyway). I can't read Rolling Stone, Time, Newsweek, WaPo, NYT...

Well, I can, but I would be contributing indirectly to anti-gun causes. And that bothers me on some level. But how much will I let it bother me? Do I cut my nose off to spite my face? I work for Comcast, soon to be merged with NBC. Do I quit my job because NBC is anti-gun? I don't think so.

I did actively avoid having custom invitations for a recent party made at Hallmark, because I learned that they are anti-gun, and I had good alternatives available.
  • Citizens Bank. Completely corrupt
  • I avoid Citgo when I'm in the US.
    said:

Kenneth Cole

I avoid their products because they're butt-ugly, does that count?
  • There are lots of businesses that I choose to not patronize, but I'm not anal about it. If I need gas and Citgo is the only station within reach, I'll use them, but I prefer to drive by if possible.

Still using Amazon. There are alternatives, but nothing else really comes close to the service they provide (I use them as much for research with their "look inside" feature as for purchases). If I were worried about publishing off-kilter books, I'd have to stop all use of printed material to remain consistent.

Ben and Jerrys? Price point is wrong for me and I don't have to support their brand of politics.

Wal-Mart? Like Seabird said above, no big deal except most of their stuff is crap. I "use" them for things like batteries and engine oil at times, both for price and for their silly warranty policy. Last time I actually paid for a battery was about 10 years ago. I go through one or more a year in my off-road truck and just haul in the old one and replace it whenever it starts acting up. I get a new one with new date stamps and I'm good for another year or two. I'm not real fond of K-Mart/Sears for the same reasons. Especially Sears is not the same store it was 30 years ago. I can do better at Harbor Freight on tools -- in some cases they are identical and in others, the HF stuff lasts longer. I use Snap On 99% of the time anyway.

ATT is another company that I do try to avoid. First, they just plain suck, but second, their political stance is out there for a public company that has so many diversified customers. ATT has ripped me off too many times over the years to ever consider going back. Levi's and a few others have similar political issues, so I use other brands that work just as well.
  • said:

Ben & Jerry's contributes to anti-gun causes.

And they kill babies... but their chocolate chip cookie dough is so good that I can't deny it. I hope it's not made out of babies.
  • I'm generally cool doing business with anyone except blacks, Joos, Mexicans, Indians, Native Americans, Muslims, Christians, Scientologists, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Chinese, Canadians (eww), bush Africans, freckled redheads, and anyone who watches TV.
  • said:

I'm generally cool doing business with anyone except blacks, Joos, Mexicans, Indians, Native Americans, Muslims, Christians, Scientologists, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Chinese, Canadians (eww), bush Africans, freckled redheads, and anyone who watches TV.

Really? Because I'm only annoyed by humans.
  • I refuse "business" with people who refuse to think logically.
  • i avoid the following:

bp
    exxon mobil
    dow chemical (co. that absorbed union carbide)
    goldman sachs
    cabelas (national purveyor of deadly weapons that should be illegal)
    fox news
    mcdonalds
  • said:

I avoid the following:

bp
    exxon mobil

Not familiar with the concept underlying the word "Fungible", eh?

dow chemical

Oh, nevermind. I didn't realize you lived outdoors, didn't own a car and clothed yourself with animal skins.

goldman sachs

Don't you actually need to be in a position to be a customer of a business before you can legitimately be said to be boycotting it?

cabelas (national purveyor of deadly weapons that should be illegal)

But you're OK with Midway? Interesting.
    BTW, given that you're against deadly weapons, how do you clothe yourself in those animal skins? Or do you just go naked?

fox news

Yes...
    Because MSNBC is clearly superior in it's impartiality.

mcdonalds

But not Burger King?
    Did the Hamburgler molest you when you were young?

• said:

I refuse "business" with people who refuse to think logically.

What a jerk!
  • said:

said:

What a jerk!
    Did you really just quote yourself?
  • said:

said:

said:

What a jerk!
    Did you really just quote yourself?
    I believe that he did!