the Mob

edited November 2010 in Religion & Philosophy
The crowd, not the mafia.

From people storming into a Walmart on Black Friday to the riots in Greece and Italy. To surrender one's soul to a group. Be that group a mindless mob or be it directed by evil.

I went to Kent State. Listening to those glassy eyed nut cases who where then when the riots took place were one of the main reasons I'm a conservative today (that and SDS assholes spitting on ROTC kids).
Have you ever come close to becoming a Borg for a Day?

The only time I came close was Last Beer Day. When I hit 18 I could drink beer. Low beer of 3.2Ac. A few months later they decided Ohio didn't need low beer and raised the age to 19 and one could drink any beer. So at 18 drinking a 3.2 Bud I and a bunch of friends started screaming BEER! BEER! BEER! up to midnight when we became children again... Five months later it was legal again. Burp.

Comments

• I remember near the end of basic training our drill sgt threw an orange on the floor in the gym we used as an indoor assy area. As "Delta Dogs" we were expected to dive for it. I remember feeling proud when I manged to tear off a section of orange with my teeth while another guy was tearing off a section with his.

Just like dogs.

Of course, that was just a bunch of macho bullshit and we were reveling in it, not caring about how silly it was.

Still, it was empowering in a way that scared me later when I realized that while what WE were doing was essentially harmless, the same thing could happen in a situation that wasn't quite so harmless.
  • edited November 2010
    A couple of years before I left NJ, there was this house in New Brunswick where a bunch of college kids, several boyfriend/girlfriend couples, were staying. One night a group of gang-bangers invaded the place, armed with pistols. They ties up all the guys, and then raped the girls.

The first, and most obvious question, is whether any of those gang bangers would have had the will to go that far if they had been acting alone.

The second, less obvious question, is whether all of the boyfriends would have allowed them selves to be so pacified if they had not watched each other going along with the orders given them.

The nihilism of the mob manifests both ways.
  • edited November 2010
    said:

A couple of years before I left NJ, there was this house in New Brunswick where a bunch of college kids, several boyfriend/girlfriend couples, were staying. One night a group of gang-bangers invaded the place, armed with pistols. They ties up all the guys, and then raped the girls.

The first, and most obvious question, is whether any of those gang bangers would have had the will to go that far if they had been acting alone.

The second, less obvious question, is whether all of the boyfriends would have allowed them selves to be so pacified if they had not watched each other going along with the orders given them.

The nihilism of the mob manifests both ways.

YIKES!

Has anyone here ever been taken in once then learned the lesson? Been able to either escape or be very good and help turn the tide at a future event? At times I think at one moment all it takes is one sane person to yell "LETS TAKE A MOMENT AND THINK THIS OVER!" "AN HOUR FROM NOW WE'RE GOING TO BE WHERE WE STARTED WITH A LOT OF CRAP TO CLEAN UP." -Inspiration from Apollo XIII
  • I just watched "The Oxbow Incident" today, which is a whole movie about mob rule.
  • said:

Has anyone here ever been taken in once then learned the lesson?

I think that once anyone has gone there, regardless if the context was dangerous or not, and is able at some point during or after to recognize what occurred; they are thereafter inoculated.

What those who HAVEN'T actually had the experience don't understand is that it's incredibly freeing. Imagine what you would be capable of if your fear of consequence was somehow removed.

It can be... intoxicating.
  • Imagine what you would be capable of if your fear of consequence was somehow removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAH9f7Cae40

• My one time association with an uncontrollable mob came during a New Year's Eve expedition to Las Vegas. We thought that it would be a blast to be downtown when they drop the ball... What a huge mistake. When the mob started flipping over cop cars and setting them on fire, many tried to escape the venue. Busses back to the strip were limited, and when a bus came, the force of the mob would crush the people close to the busses into or under them. It was horrifying to have to try to protect our women from the onslaught of the crowd. The shear weight of the crowd pressing in on us was incredible. I now understand somewhat better the dynamics that get people killed in those crowd rushes.

What a happy moment when we finally fought our way to the door and entered a bus to leave that site. Rather soured me on big city crowded extravaganzas forever after. I've also disavowed Las Vegas. They can have it. I knew we were making a mistake when we flew over the great ski resorts in Colorado to get to that desert money-hungry mistake called Sin City.
  • said:

Rather soured me on big city crowded extravaganzas forever after.

Mount Pilot really is a hell hole.
  • said:

Mount Pilot really is a hell hole.

....where's my bullet? /frantic search
  • The intelligence of a mob is equal to the lowest members IQ divided by the number of people in the mob.