Where we live. The vacation.

edited August 2010 in Religion & Philosophy
If you live somewhere long enough you forget. How good you have it.

People pay money to come down here so they can sit on their asses for a week or two.

Am I to feel shame for not going to the beach when I can?

-no.

The only people who should feel shame are those who live near DC. You have the Smithsonian n us taxpayers paid for it. Not to visit once a month is a sin.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Drunk Veritas is drunk.
  • I thought that a lot when I was visiting your area Veritas... I work my butt off all year to spend one week at the beach. Meanwhile, 80% of the population (that isn't retired) in the area are a bunch of beach bums just scraping by. Sure they have no teeth and will probably die before they reach 65 from some alcohol related illness... but least they spent their life at the beach. I'll die of a heart attack wishing I spent more time at the beach.

And yes, you should feel guilty if you don't go to the beach more often. Nothing against the Smithsonian.
  • said:

The only people who should feel shame are those who live near DC. You have the Smithsonian n us taxpayers paid for it. Not to visit once a month is a sin.

As you can tell from my location on the left, I live near DC. There are many here who do not visit the museums. I personally try to play "tourist" once a year. Once a month is a bit overkill, though. I've lived near DC for over 30 years and frankly, a lot of the sights don't change. There is still much to see, but I'd quickly run out in a few years if I visited monthly.
  • Have you been to Gettysburg? (incidently it's down the road from me about a half hour, I'll be there later today). The Smithsonian always has new stuff, in my experience. IIRC they only display 5 or 10% of their collection at any one time.
  • This is where I grew up, a 5 minute drive south of Lake George in the Adirondacks. Would move back in a heartbeat if we could make it work.

• said:

Drunk Veritas is drunk.

Hooo boy. Wife made daqueries. Had two. This morning she tells me they each had 3+ shots of rum :( :mad: :rolleyes:
  • I, too, live in the shadow of Rome and unfortunately I don't get much opportunity to go to the Smithsonian often, maybe once every couple years.

Unfortunately, my favorite, the Air and Space Museum has been raped and pillaged to provide more stuff to the "annex" out near Dulles. From what I gather, it is beyond impressive. I was there in November for a rally at the Capitol and used the pisser. Place seemed... empty. (exhibit wise)

Just this past weekend I went to Ft. McHenry for the Defender's Day festivities. It is the first time I remember ever going there, but the folks say they took me when I was a wee little pain in the ass of 6 or so.

I need more culture. Yogurt?