A Bitter Rift Divides Atheists

edited October 2009 in Religion & Philosophy
[quote:2tzyxgy3]Religion is "sinister, dangerous and ridiculous," Hitchens tells NPR, because it can prompt people to fly airplanes into buildings, and it promotes ignorance.[/quote:2tzyxgy3]
And atheism doesn't prompt people to start a riot in Muslim countries with blasphemous pictures?

[quote:2tzyxgy3]"People got very angry," [PZ Myers] recalls. "I don't know why. I mean, it's just a cracker, right?" [/quote:2tzyxgy3]
If it's "just" a cracker, why did he give it the special privilege of nailing it to a wall and taking a picture for Blasphemy Day? On that day I left the cracker in the box and ignored it, as I do most days.

[quote="glfredrick":2tzyxgy3]So, why battle the concept of God, other than Romans 1 is true -- they KNOW in their hearts (and work to suppress) that God is, and are without excuse.[/quote:2tzyxgy3]
Bingo. Their actions evidence their hearts.

Comments

• One wonders to what end atheists proselytize?

They expect common respect from religious groups, but then go out of their way to be as rude as possible in return. Am I shocked or upset by their actions? Not really... More saddened by the general darkness of their hearts, and wondering if they prevail just where society ends up. The ones that can so crassly deny someone else's thoughts and beliefs will eventually forget where to stop in their actions, and the result is ugly beyond belief. We've seen this in history a few times...

At least they live up to one of the philosophical tenets of true naturalistic atheism -- there is no grounding for morality and ethics in a purely chance, evolved world.

If they are trying to "shock" the Christian (or in general, the religious) world, they are failing miserably. Every Christian already knows that people who do not believe in God are doomed. No sin they commit can make a difference, nor cause them to be more doomed to hell than they already are; apart from salvation in Christ, they have no hope and their actions exhibit this at every turn.

Additionally, one wonders why they even bother... In their own minds, they are fighting against "nothing" for they are certain that there is no God. Who, exactly, are they battling? I don't see people battling the great spaghetti monster. Why? They know it is an obvious fabrication. So, why battle the concept of God, other than Romans 1 is true -- they KNOW in their hearts (and work to suppress) that God is, and are without excuse.

[i:32zv23at]Rom 1:18-25 ESV For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. 24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. [/i:32zv23at]
  • said:

From NPR's Morning Edition

read and listen here...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =113889251[/quote:2axrszfh]
    Interesting read, thanks for posting it.

I don't believe a schism is possible in the atheist movement at this time (it's not organized enough) but I'm glad to see recognition for both the reasonable and militant atheists for what they are.

• I agree. Good story, EV.
    said:

One wonders to what end atheists proselytize? [/quote:3h94v3oz]

Or why the simple state of not having a specific faith would constitute a movement. Like anarchism, the act of organising and being a movement is somewhat contrary to their purported condition. Just believing in "one fewer god" than I do should not require a network of social support, right?

This reminds me that there are quite a few members here who might describe themselves as atheists or agnostics, but who aren't movement-ish and evangelical about it. Like many people who do have a religous faith, they believe as they do without introducing it into conversation much. This seems to be the normal state.

• said:

[quote:3qly7w0h]Religion is "sinister, dangerous and ridiculous," Hitchens tells NPR, because it can prompt people to fly airplanes into buildings, and it promotes ignorance.[/quote:3qly7w0h]
    And atheism doesn't prompt people to start a riot in Muslim countries with blasphemous pictures? [/quote:3qly7w0h]

I note that Stalin was an atheist... Pol Pot was an atheist... Mao Zedong was an atheist... Between the three of them, more were killed than in all of the religious wars since the advent of human history. Just sayin'... :roll:

• In my experiences, most atheists do not actually reject the concept or existence of God as they typically claim, but rather reject God Himself. They hate God (or rightfully, some of His adherents) so much that they reduce Him to an errant concept in order to rationalize their animosity without feeling guilty. Their mockery and ridicule towards believers highlights this anger and anxiety quite well and (to me at least) proves their motives.

So yes folks, atheism is nothing more than a coping mechanism. :D
  • said:

In my experiences, most atheists do not actually reject the concept or existence of God as they typically claim, but rather reject God Himself. They hate God (or rightfully, some of His adherents) so much that they reduce Him to an errant concept in order to rationalize their animosity without feeling guilty. Their mockery and ridicule towards believers highlights this anger and anxiety quite well and (to me at least) proves their motives.

So yes folks, atheism is nothing more than a coping mechanism. :D[/quote:2dhpp3zl]

I have experienced the same... Interesting, when pressed hard, most atheists resort to some form of agnosticism, or worse, the religion of secular humanism, belying their claim to be people outside of some sort of faith community. Their religion is not that much different from that of any number of adherents -- only the object of their worship differs.