Well That's Just My Opinion

edited September 2009 in Religion & Philosophy
Let's say two people are debating about strict government control of the economy. Person A believes that this is a bad thing and is demonstrably false. Person B disagrees. Debate ensues.

In conclusion Person B declares "Well that's just my opinion, you have your opinion and I have mine."

First, what brings people to make this claim, seemingly ignoring the points of the other argument. Why is this an accepted way to end a friendly discussion?

Comments

• I think it's said for a couple reasons. As a way to save face from having a poor arguement or implying that friendship is more important than an ugly policy debate.
  • Because people don't carry duelling pistols anymore.
  • said:

First, what brings people to make this claim, seemingly ignoring the points of the other argument. Why is this an accepted way to end a friendly discussion?[/quote:2od9q97q]

It's how you give up arguing the wrong side of something, while pretending that you still aren't wrong.

• Good
    said:

It's how you give up arguing the wrong side of something, while pretending that you still aren't wrong.[/quote:n0jgc5a8]

Better

said:

Because people don't carry duelling pistols anymore.[/quote:n0jgc5a8]

Worse

In you specific question, it is because the person asserting that it is just his opinion that government should be his and your master is immune to the irony of claiming his own right to an opinion while denying others the natural consequences of theirs. The proper response could be "It isn't just your stupid opinion of you are using it to restrict others."

• I've been getting this a lot recently. It seems like a way to say "I know you think I'm wrong, and you've provided some arguments, but I'm just going to conclude that I'm not wrong, because I believe I am not wrong."

I think there is definitely something about it being a "lets be friends" issues when dealing with peers.
  • said:

I think there is definitely something about it being a "lets be friends" issues when dealing with peers.[/quote:199i3inx]

Absolutely.

My answer is normally this, whether I'm right or wrong:

"We will just have to agree to disagree on this, and that's fine. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I hate you."

• The op assumes the axiom of absolute right. Why isn't someone entitled to their opinion? What makes you assume that having a better argument makes a person right (who's to say your argument is better)? If their is the proposed absolute right, then shouldn't the world have some sort of basic consensus? Therefore any number of things can lead a person to make said statement.
  • said:

said:

I think there is definitely something about it being a "lets be friends" issues when dealing with peers.[/quote:3rxuuh4n]

Absolutely.

My answer is normally this, whether I'm right or wrong:

"We will just have to agree to disagree on this, and that's fine. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I hate you."[/quote:3rxuuh4n]

You two are way off base, so naturally I hate you.

• said:

said:

"We will just have to agree to disagree on this, and that's fine. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I hate you."[/quote:2gw1y9d4]

You two are way off base, so naturally I hate you.[/quote:2gw1y9d4]

Sadly, I talk to a lot of people who seem to need an undue amount of coddling, which is why I have developed this response.

• said:

Sadly, I talk to a lot of people who seem to need an undue amount of coddling, which is why I have developed this response.[/quote:l3scn5n1]

That's pathetic.

If it is a fellow who is offended, it will only improve him.

If it is a girl talking lefty politics, my normal response is to compliment her appearance. This leaves her confused and conflicted.

• said:

That's pathetic.

If it is a fellow who is offended, it will only improve him.

If it is a girl talking lefty politics, my normal response is to compliment her appearance. This leaves her confused and conflicted.[/quote:25fsz81t]

What can I say. I live a pathetic life. Also, I live in NJ. I think I am starting to repeat myself.

• fuhgedaboudit.
  • said:

The op assumes the axiom of absolute right. Why isn't someone entitled to their opinion? What makes you assume that having a better argument makes a person right (who's to say your argument is better)? If their is the proposed absolute right, then shouldn't the world have some sort of basic consensus? Therefore any number of things can lead a person to make said statement.[/quote:3m83kw6v]

Communist governments have a horrible success rate. All evidence points to communism being a failure. Just because you have the opinion that it's not, doesn't make you any less wrong.

• said:

Communist governments have a horrible success rate. All evidence points to communism being a failure. Just because you have the opinion that it's not, doesn't make you any less wrong.[/quote:h4zms9x3]

That just because those were hijacked by tyrants who did communism the [i:h4zms9x3]wrong[/i:h4zms9x3] way. It's so unfair of you to just bring up bad examples to judge the idea. JMHO, of course.

• said:

said:

Communist governments have a horrible success rate. All evidence points to communism being a failure. Just because you have the opinion that it's not, doesn't make you any less wrong.[/quote:2hq4k4j6]

That just because those were hijacked by tyrants who did communism the [i:2hq4k4j6]wrong[/i:2hq4k4j6] way. It's so unfair of you to just bring up bad examples to judge the idea. JMHO, of course.[/quote:2hq4k4j6]

Oh right. Sorry. Forgot about that. Also, apologies for trampling on your opinion.

• I think some of this Big Lebowski bs comes from people who've never thought much about their opinions. They aren't expecting you to have thought about yours either. I don't believe this hinges on education, but on whether you are accustomed to an environment in which others generally share your opinions.

In my experience, this describes most people on most topics. Most people have thought about history and politics about the same way a poster over there might write about wheels. "A five spoked wheel would be cool, bra! And so would, like, free stuff for everybudy so that, like, if you didn't have enough cash, er sumthing, you could [i:tuuxdg4q]still [/i:tuuxdg4q]get cool wheels!"

"Oh, you think that's stupid? Yeah, well,....It's just like my opinion about the wheels, bra."
  • Using "bra" or "bro" in any non-ironic way should be punishable by summary execution.
  • said:

Using "bra" or "bro" in any non-ironic way should be punishable by summary execution.[/quote:1wwipjth]

I find bra more offensive than bro.

• said:

said:

Using "bra" or "bro" in any non-ironic way should be punishable by summary execution.[/quote:232c03c7]

I find bra more offensive than bro.[/quote:232c03c7]

They are both awful. Makes me stabby.

• said:

said:

Using "bra" or "bro" in any non-ironic way should be punishable by summary execution.[/quote:iee5kreq]

I find bra more offensive than bro.[/quote:iee5kreq]

"bra" should be ridiculed and burned. Oh wait...

• said:

said:

The op assumes the axiom of absolute right. Why isn't someone entitled to their opinion? What makes you assume that having a better argument makes a person right (who's to say your argument is better)? If their is the proposed absolute right, then shouldn't the world have some sort of basic consensus? Therefore any number of things can lead a person to make said statement.[/quote:28rvvwmj]

Communist governments have a horrible success rate. All evidence points to communism being a failure. Just because you have the opinion that it's not, doesn't make you any less wrong.[/quote:28rvvwmj]
    I did not say that no truths exist.

• said:

said:

said:

Using "bra" or "bro" in any non-ironic way should be punishable by summary execution.[/quote:1y9rbkgd]

I find bra more offensive than bro.[/quote:1y9rbkgd]

"bra" should be ridiculed and burned. Oh wait...[/quote:1y9rbkgd]

The OP is pushing up against the padded value some people place on their opinions. If they could elevate their focus enough to lift and separate facts from opinions, they could support their views beautifully.

• said:

The OP is pushing up against the padded value some people place on their opinions. If they could elevate their focus enough to lift and separate facts from opinions, they could support their views beautifully.[/quote:15vl5s2a]

Indeed...& without minimizing their opponents argument.

One can only wonder if there's room for debate such as this without things
    spilling over into the typical Ad Hom.

• Double Post edit bad thing.
  • said:

The OP is pushing up against the padded value some people place on their opinions. If they could elevate their focus enough to lift and separate facts from opinions, they could support their views beautifully.[/quote:h4sr7h9b]

Debates would be more uplifting were that the case. Keeping abreast of the facts and avoiding simply suckling at the talking points teat would enhance their grasp on the issues. A firm hand is appropriate when trying to wean them from such tactics. Regurgitating the C-grade blatherings of D-list pundits is not forming an opinion, it is grade A foolishness.

Boobs.

• said:

Debates would be more uplifting were that the case. Keeping abreast of the facts and avoiding simply suckling at the talking points teat would enhance their grasp on the issues. A firm hand is appropriate when trying to wean them from such tactics. Regurgitating the C-grade blatherings of D-list pundits is not forming an opinion, it is grade A foolishness.

[/quote:uzwqbdra]

How could you possibly lump all of this in with the OP's claims? The silky way in which you set forth your assertions as udder truth is typical in these times of fluff and pillowed retort. Shall we indeed rest our heads on the unfounded assumptions that you attempt to squeeze by us without proper scrutiny?

'Mountain out of a Mole Hill' you say? More like 'Islands in the Stream'! That is what you are!

• said:

The op assumes the axiom of absolute right. Why isn't someone entitled to their opinion?[/quote:11zpsixt]
    Very perceptive. If the topic is about something subjective, like which color looks better in the living room, there is no objective right or wrong, and this should be honored.

In many cases, debates are poorly formed from the outset. Whether it is better to have strict governmental controls on the economy may merely be a subjective issue. Had the topic been framed, "have strict governmental controls improved the economy in the past," where "improved" is a well-defined metric, this can be treated objectively with a clear yes-no answer (assuming enough data exists to yield a clear answer).

Another thought: Opinions cannot be right or wrong. Yet at the same time, opinions are not compulsory: if someone defends an objective argument with an opinion, this is a non-argument and, in formal debate, you win.

said:

In conclusion Person B declares "Well that's just my opinion, you have your opinion and I have mine."[/quote:11zpsixt]
    In formal debate, this is a classic example of [b:11zpsixt]the dodge[/b:11zpsixt], otherwise known as [b:11zpsixt]sidestepping[/b:11zpsixt]. If a person uses this in a formal debate, consider them defeated. In informal conversation, this may be used to terminate a debate and save a friendship. (Not saying formal debate destroys friendships, just that it is more accepted in informal conversations.) Informal debaters tend to not be well-prepared and quite often quickly exhaust their material; a definitive resolution may lie beyond both debater's resources.

said:

They are both awful. Makes me stabby.[/quote:11zpsixt]
    In [b:11zpsixt]your[/b:11zpsixt] opinion....